Mac heads need to take more responsibility for their actions!

zootbobbalu

Registered
Apple's announcement that they are going to pull the plug on the Safari seeding program is partly to blame on some of the posts and patrons of this site. 300+ posts to talk about v67 and hardly any signs of guilt about the results. Safari's quality will suffer due in large part to the temptations of rumor mills like this. The blame should be put squarely on the shoulders of the idiot developers who leaked developer builds of Safari, but Mac fans need to respect Apple's wishes to keep unfinished products out of circulation.

Wait.

- Could you give us your source information please ? When you write "Apple's announcement", I guess you are talking of some official declaration. URL ?

- 300+ posts to talk about Safari getting tabs is very correct. Tabs are a major revolution in webbrowsing. Moreover, the conversation about Safari v67 has not spread so much over all conversations here, as some topics do. I do not know about v67's impact outside of this forum.

- The blame should probably concentrate on the developer. He's not the only one to blame, but the whole v67 thing is his fault. Plus, as a developer and member of Applie Inc., he/she should know his/her ethics better than any Mac geek.

Just because some of us know about Safari v67, and as many have it does NOT mean that we are at fault. The blame lies with the ADC memebers who did not uphold the NDA that they signed. It is people like this that use the ADC to leak software rather than test it. I myself am an ADC student memeber, and plan on upgrading once I can.

Did you read my initial post? You pretty much restated what I said, but you missed the point that the leak should not justify being part of the chain that spreads the leak all over the internet.

So, zoot,
you'd prefer no unreleased software-discussions? that discussion has been open *as long as* no one provides any information on where to find such builds.
So any infos where to get those have been removed and any thread turning too warezzy gets closed anyway.

That leak thing was some days ago in slashdot ...
They could simply decide to give out the nightlies of Safari - I'm sure that'd become a very used feaure. :)

The only people who are under a decree to not talk about or share unreleased builds of Apple software are their users who sign an NDA.

You know, when I read the title of the thread, I thought this was going to be a rant against REAL piracy.

By real piracy, I mean people using commercial software they got via illicit means, and never bother to ante up for the full version. This is what's really hurting the Mac platform. Adobe's recent actions are a direct result of piracy on the Mac platform. Right now, Adobes Mac customers are about 28% of all their sales. That used to be over 50%.

Personally, I'm ashamed to say, out of 5 people in the biz I know, (all Mac users), I am the only one with a legit copy of Photoshop. Everybody else is pirating theirs.

The day is coming people, when the bigs wigs, Adobe & Macromedia, will look at their Mac sales and decide to cut their losses and pull out. And piracy will have played a huge role in hastening that decision.

you and i certainly agree on this issue serpico!!! i couldn't have put it any better except to add that apple's reaction to safari is a good warning to those who think there are 'ok' things to pirate. yes, everyone who downloaded the builds illegally is as much to blame as the person who distributed them. in most illegal transactions, laws provide for punishment of both parties. this is a big reason this site has never allowed linking to these illegal builds. our members may have them, but they didn't find them here.

In a word, there's nothing to reproach to this site or to the discussion that has been going on here.

:)

You think that software piracy is worse on the mac than on the pc? Don't think so. I do tech for pc's for a living. We get 800+ pc's every year and none of them has any legal software. They all have an Kazaa client installed though.

Geez! Apple needs to relax big deal if some unauthorized people got a hold of Safari 6x. I think it's great and stirs up excitement. I mean I love Apple but it's only a web browser! It's not the holy grail... hmm or maybe it is since it has has tabs now.. ;)

i'm guessing that apple is as much concerned about other software and systems going this same route in the future. if they allow precedent to be set with safari, they may have problems with other things in the future that they would rather avoid. "it's only" is always where it starts.

Well, Apple isn't all that upset about it, it's just that they don't want builds that possibly crash your MAC (remember, they're the maker of the machine) for good reach good customers. So, they choose the better ones from the beta builds to create a public beta version. Always been like that. Quicktime Preview? Yes, you may have gotten 2 or 3 previews, but not all of the beta cycle.

It's just not how Apple beta tests its software.

But edX: Apple knows about leaks of beta builds for some time now, it's not as if Safari was the start...

Back