Mac Help not working anymore

Speedy974

Registered
Hello everybody,

First, I am new to this community. :)

I got couple weeks ago a MacBook Pro.

Here is my issue:

- On the Finder, if I click on Help > Mac Help, it open the help window but it shows an empty page called Untitled. After couple seconds, this window disappear.
- In addition, when I go to System Preferences > Click on any icon and then the question mark (to get some help): same issue. It brings a blank full page called Untitled and it shuts down couple seconds later.

FYI, I tried to create another user account, and it does not do that. So it must be user account related.

Thank you very much for you help!

Julien :)

Simbala, thank you for your reply. I do have OnyX installed. I tried several things with it yesterday but nothing worked. I must admit that I am not sure to know where to find Reset Help application. Can you give me more details? I will then try and let you know.

Thank you,
Julien

OMH.png

Hey simbala,

I do not have so many options on my OnyX, definitely not a reset tab. Any ideas?
Update OnyX.

It’s been nearly a year since I had this problem but it was common at the time with a long thread on the Apple forums.

I’ll try to reconstruct the “cure” from memory and post it later on.

Hey simbala,

I just checked, I do have the latest version of OnyX for Mac OSX 10.5.2 and there is unfortunately not reset help option.

Julien

Last edited:
I dunno :(

I'm still running 10.4 and I looked for my fix and at the Apple forums and so far no luck.

I remember that it involved locking a folder but I can't find it yet, maybe due to an update. Help app is actually a browser of a kind, it contacts Apple in some cases and this was the problem which many people had.

Here, this relates to what I found (and did). I definitely remember deleting the User/Library/Caches/com.apple.helpui folder, then using Help again (recreating the folder) and after that locking the folder. It took a long time to search out that solution.

"Help" app stopped working

I still had that folder Read-Only for Group and Other but I just changed it to see what happens.

Here's an old article from Apple

Not sure how well it applies to 10.5.

Hey guys,

Sorry for the delay, I was on-site and so could not get back to you earlier.

The issue stopped when I got rid of the designated folder. Then I started OnyX. The information window of OnyX popped up, as usual. I closed OnyX and tried again: issue was back.

So then , I kind I tried to turn off the information window of OnyX, got rid of the com.apple.helpui folder: it seems to work since then... :)

Thanks a lot guys, I guess we can close this issue.

Julien

Back