Mac/Intel Update Problem

valleygirl

Registered
You know, you guys/gals are pretty darn good! This coming from an old gal who used to DOS, long before Bill potty trained and then Whined, Dined and Puked on Windows. After many years of ripping and tearing apart, she (finally) smartened up and got herself an iMac Intel/Duo. And I love it!!

But I have a problem no one seems to be able to help me with. The only solution I received, was to Archive and Reinstall. Ya see folks, I think there are other things I can do and try first. Because...I have to know 'why'.
I have to know why it happened and how to fix it, rather then cover it up with an A/R. I found a few other folks with similar and or same problem, so it's not an isolated event.

Firstly, I am running OS X 10.47, and Safari 2.0.4 at present in Rosetta.

Last Auto Software Update I was able to perform was May 17/06
My JavaScriptCore files now have an Alias with same date, May 17.

Any .dmg Fails to Mount, reason is:
Not Configured
......So any downloads will not work.

Software Update Fails:
"Quits unexpectedly, MAC OS X and other apps not affected''
....So cannot update

Updated Failure Report states:

Symbol not found: __ZN3KJS9ObjectImpC1Eb
Referenced from: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/JavaScriptGlue.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptGlue
Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/JavaScriptCore.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptCore

I have done all the required Mac fixes, i.e. Disk Permissions and Disk repair from c/d, etc.

Please see attachment picture 6.png for my Mac file directory showing aliases.

I definitely think this problem was caused by the Mac Software Update.
There must be a way I can fix this, YES?
Otherwise, my next step will be to attempt to contact Java people.
A real conundrum or me.

I thank you all, for your expertise and patience with us old Mac wannabe's who finally turned into Mac newbie's.

Valleygirl

Attachments

• Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 16
Interesting problem. If you don't want to do an a/r, you're going to need the help of a mac/unix guru. However, this may end up being a tedeous process to fix the parts of the system that are corrupted. Just so you know, I have replaced my system folder before and it's really not as big a deal as you may think. "Windoze" on the other hand usually ends up with more problems than it solves. Remember, macs have no "registry" like M$. Therefore it is far easier to replace the system and not have linking issues. The only thing I have a problem with after my reinstall is my GarageBand loops are MIA. Since I don't use it much, I don't have to worry just yet. I can install them later. Hope this helps.

Thnx

I guess the other thing I am worried about is...what if an a/r does not fix the broken javascriptcore. See...I thought I could find a solution before I find out the a/r won't work. Haa
I feel like Alice.

Have you tried doing a combo update? I trashed something with Machelpmate and lost the ability to check for updates from System Preferences. I fixed it by going to Apple's update page and downloading the Mac OS X combo update, then installing it.

Combo Update is sitting on my desktop. Not able to mount it. Disk image fails.
Any idea for a work-around?....thnx

Unles somebody on the forum knows how to re-link the part of the system that handles disk images, you'll need to replace the system folder using a/r as was indicated earlier. Here's the thing: If your install disks have Mac OS 10.4.6 or earlier, Javascript will be replaced with the older version. Then you just have to re-run mac update and that should fix the issue. I know you like to tinker and figure things out, I do too. But if it's too much trouble, a/r is the easy way out. BTW: Get any books on OS X Unix yet?

Move these files to the Desktop and restart and try a .dmg;

/System/Library/Extension.kextcache

/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kernalcaches/

Reassociate them with -> System -> Library -> CoreServices -> DiskImageMounter.app -> Contents -> MacOS -> DiskImageMounter instead of DiskCopy.

Hichlight a .dmg - Command-I to Get Info window - Open with
System ->Library -> CoreServices -> DiskImageMounter.app -> Contents -> MacOS -> DiskImageMounter

FWIW, I HIGHLY advise everyone I talk to about Macs to ALWAYS use Combo updates and downloadable updates rather than using Software Update. More problems stem from incomplete installs and buggy crud coming from Software Update "updates" - and the fix for 90% of them ends up being "re-apply the combo update."

The Javascript update is available on Apple's Web site for download. I recommend downloading it and trying to run it (though I believe it's a .dmg).

Back