.Mac - is it worth it?

mlunapiena01

Registered
Hi, I've been giving .Mac some thought, my initial impression was that it's not at all worth it, but what do you people here think. Please provide a justification, regardless of your response.

I use .Mac everyday. In 3 clicks you can make a web site. Its a host for my artwork and pictures of my 6 day old son. I also use the 250mgs of space for a computer away from a computer. Its like a protable HD I don't have to lug around. I can get to all my files, Bookmarks, Addresses and emails from the same place. I have a page for downloads for my family. Also the Backup app. automatically backs up my mail, Bookmarks, iphoto Lib, documents and itunes to name a few, to my exturnal HD. Which has saved me twice.

I'm not sure if this is justification. This just how I use it.

I still havent found a use for it. I have no external harddrive, I dont make websites, the e-cards are bland, I'm using a portable laptop, the few things I need to store I have photobucket, Virex is unnecessary for a Mac, I dont need the extra email address, and I dont have a palm to sync. So maybe its just me.

Scottfab said:
I still havent found a use for it. I have no external harddrive, I dont make websites, the e-cards are bland, I'm using a portable laptop, the few things I need to store I have photobucket, Virex is unnecessary for a Mac, I dont need the extra email address, and I dont have a palm to sync. So maybe its just me.

Of course you have to have a need to do these things. Virex may not be needed on a MAC but if you work with in the PC world you don't want to pass any infected files to your PC clients or family. I agree the supplied iCards are bland, but I make my own from iPhoto. If you have more then enough email accounts, well of course you don't need another. Being on the web for shopping and fourms I never use my real email address. That account is saved for clients, friends and family. This way my inbox stays nice and spam free. :)

I believe that is the major concern, if you don't have a use for .Mac, then it pretty much does not make sense. I use all the features, and find it very valuable.

Ok, sounds like something I probably won't use much then as the two items that appeal to me (Storage Space & Web space) hardly appeal to me enough to justify $100/yr.

Hold on till Scott resumes Macosx.com services, mail, web space, etc. Pretty cheap.

my response would be that i would probibly have an account, but i have my own server and do 90% of what a .mac would allow me to do, except i have zero space limitations like a .mac account does.

Macosx.com had Services for sale, $9.95 a year and up. Email, FTP, web space, gallery, etc. Scott suspended sales till he gets things done on the site. Well worth the money. You can email him for info on when it may be available again.

Use the Contact link at the bottom of the page.

.Mac is well worth it, if used correctly. All the others offering, at intervals, web storage and email and what not are pale competitors. SpyMac, GMail, Yahoo360, MSN Plus, this site, etc.

Back