Mac laptops cheaper than Dell's offerings?

Ricky

Registered
I did a bit of comparitive shopping...

I went to Dell's web site and compared their laptop prices to Apple's. This is as close as I could get the congurations, as Apple doesn't have a 14.1 inch model, Dell doesn't have a 12.1 inch model without a docking station, and Dells don't have slot load drives. Here is what I came up with:

Dell
14.1 inch TFT screen
1.6 GHz Pentium 4
32 MB graphics card
256 MB RAM
60 GB HD
24x combo drive
802.11g wireless
Bluetooth
3 year warrantee
$2,734

Apple
12.1 inch TFT screen
867 MHz G4
32 meg graphics card
256 MB RAM
60 GB HD
Combo drive
802.11g Airport Extreme
Bluetooth
APP 3 year warrantee
$2,297

Happy shopping, people! :D

Yeah, the thing is Dell makes all their money off of 500 dollar computers... The don't sell high end machines because everyone know's their computers suck :). Most pc people who know about laptops buy decent ones (like gateway :b) that won't fall apart!

ok, mabye gateway isn't that good but mine is like 4 years old and never got f'd... Because I never use it? :)

you must be thinking compaq... The EDS hardware guy put 3 screens on my (work) compaq in less than 2 years (I barely used the damned thing!). I asked him how he was able to get a replacement screen in such short notice (when he walked in with a new screen in less than 2 hours after I called the main support number!). He said that he replaced so many of the screens that he kept a couple of spares in his car! :D

Yeah, it's really hard to match Apple's laptop price & feature sets on the x86 side of the fence...plus, x86 laptops don't look nearly as cool as Apple laptops (Vaios come closest, but even they are mostly pretty boring...)

dell laptops are probably the best quality major pc brand you can get. I work with them quite often and have had very few problems. When compared to a apple laptop they may be a bit more expensive and less aesthetically(sp?) pleasing but you have to remember they do have a faster processor(don't give me any junk about this, its a fact).

Personally I plan to pick up a laptop soon, it will either be a powerbook or a dell.

::OFF TOPIC::

Don't you think Safari and every other browser should be able to spell check in forms? Shouldn't that be easy with a cocoa app?

::back to your regularly scheduled program::

Daddy:

A) There is a thread for that kind of comment, please use it next time, don't put a post about Safari in a thread about comparing laptops.

B) Who says it's Cocoa (though that would make sense)?

If I could not get a powerbook or ibook, I would buy a thinkpad.
I've had 4 thinkpads in the past 6 years and they are strong reliable laptops (if a bit heavy). Thinkpads still can't compete with a Powerbook though.

BTW: my company has some 2yo Gateway laptops (the silver ones that try to imitate the Ti) and they are pure junk. Always breaking. The dells laptops that we have are much better then the gateways.

Originally posted by arden
Daddy:

A) There is a thread for that kind of comment, please use it next time, don't put a post about Safari in a thread about comparing laptops.

B) Who says it's Cocoa (though that would make sense)?

Sorry to answer this out of context but...

Command-; and Comman-: are your firends try them out sometime.

It is written in C++ with a Cocoa wrapper. It guts came from KDE.

-Eric

Originally posted by Da_iMac_Daddy
::OFF TOPIC::

Don't you think Safari and every other browser should be able to spell check in forms? Shouldn't that be easy with a cocoa app?

::back to your regularly scheduled program::
V67 has it, but its bugged, if you right click text, tick the "Check Spelling as You type" it works ... but as soon as you submit the form, the next form you come across, spellcheck is off by default once more! ... i am sure it will be spell checked Soon!

Arden, there is another post, very true, but does it really matter "THAT Much" ... i've come across many of your replies, and its usually very Negative, very blunt, and VERY ANNOYING, i don't want to pick Enemies and all that C**p, but you lighten up a little, please! ... :rolleyes:

GETTING BACK ON TOPIC!
What ever happened to the Dell dude? i heard he was caught with a bunch of merijuana (i can say that here right?), and went to jail or something. Now there's the annoying Dell interns. They were both pretty annoying though.
Maybe that laptop is more money cuz there's an extra 2 inches on the moniter!

Thinkpad's are the best PC laptops. Problem is, that Thinkpads are also the most expensive. In terms of quality and customer support, thinkpads are way better than the rest. the 2nd in line is perhaps the sony vaio.

Dell and Gateway cater for the lower end of the market. Personally, I cant stand Dell and Gateway because their laptops appear flimsy and have this fisher price plastic feel to it

lol i have a thinkpad from 5 years ago.... i use it for my sattelite cards...... I am not saying anything else about that.

Originally posted by Ricky
I did a bit of comparitive shopping...

I went to Dell's web site and compared their laptop prices to Apple's. This is as close as I could get the congurations, as Apple doesn't have a 14.1 inch model,

uhm..?! last time i checked, there was a 14.1" iBook? hmmm.... :rolleyes:

Back