Mac Mail - can't delete

bobb06810

Registered
I'm using Mail 4.4, OS X 10.6.6

For two of my email mailboxes, (out of 6 email mailboxes) when I try to delete/move to trash I get the error message

The message " xxx " could not be moved to the Mailbox "Trash - On My Mac" - or to the trash associated with the original mail
The operation couldn't be completed. File Exists.

I can drag the emails to other trash boxes though.

Any sense of what's wrong?

So you pay Yahoo for POP email downloads? Have you opened Mail's menu item "Window' and select "Connection Doctor". This application will open in that application click on the "Show Detail" button and then click the "Check Again". It then will use a drop-down and show you every step Mail takes to connect to the server. This way you can see where the process is messing up and then fix it in the Mail's Preferences, Accounts tab email account and fix that problem, then try it again.

No, I don't pay Yahoo. If you register your Yahoo mail through Yahoo Asia there is no cost.

More importantly - the problem is not getting or sending Yahoo mail with Mail: that works just fine.
The problem is I can't delete the mail except by dragging the email to some other trash.

I might add that this behavior hasn't always been this way. It did work at some time.

And this is happening with only one of my Yahoo accounts, and another account through one of my websites.

In Mail Preferences > Accounts tab > Mailbox Behaviors, is the "Move deleted messages to the Trash mailbox" selected?

Back