Mac Mail - Email Gone Missing

cyrus11

Registered
I am on OSX 10.3.9 using Mac Mail 1.3.9

Today I opened up Mail and to my horror about 4000 emails were gone. I looked around and checked the mailbox files all to no luck... went onto Apple.com support and found an article that reccomended rebuilding the mailboxes. All this accomplished was to empty my sent mailbox of all the files ( 4400 ).

They are gone, and with them all of the attachments that came with any email, I think, as whenever I tried the find command for an attachment I knew I had recieved it could not find the original....

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Has anyone got an answer for this? I've got a similar problem with around 2000 mails. Looking at the mbox package contents, it appears something has become corrupted. One of the mbox packages (I have two that are corrupted) looks like this, if it is any help:

table_of_contents
mbox
Info.plist
content_index-acc00312.ipt.aol.com-358
content_index-acadd376.ipt.aol.com-357
content_index

Someone on another forum gave me a script that was supposed to break the mbox into smaller pieces, but it did not work. It actually caused several more of the remaining messages to disappear! Fortunately, I had made a copy of the original mailboxes before I ran the script, so I still have those.

If anyone has a clue what can be done to fix this problem, I'd love to hear it! Thanks, in advance, to anyone who can help!

Don't know if this is related or not.

Just upgraded my grandma's computer from Panther to Tiger. Opened mail (before saving a backup copy of her mailboxs) and Tiger Mail converted the mailboxes to their new format and lost all the old mail.

:confused: Can't believe I forgot to back up those files, and I now doubt they can be recovered.

Back