mac mail

billsmith26

Registered
is the email system that came on my mac superior to just using web-based email? how to i set it up for my email address? im a new mac user, so im kinda confused about using this system, i wasnt going to use it, but i really like the ical, so i figured id try the email too. thanks for any help yall could give me.

Well, the first question is: What sort of E-Mail account do you want to use with Mail.app. If the service offers IMAP-support, then I'd go with that, if it offers POP3 only then use that. There are also webmail services which don't offer to be used with a "real" E-Mail client at all, sadly.

If you _can_ use your E-Mail account with Mail.app, it's certainly a much better experience, because you don't have to wait until a page has loaded. You're notified with a sound when mail arrives, and by then it's already on your computer, so it's the quickest way to get to new messages.

'Is the email system that came on my mac superior to just using web-based email?' - yes.

'how do i set it up for my email address?' - that would depend on which e-Mail 'er application you install and / or use. If you are specifically referring to the e-Mail'er application 'Mail' (supplied by Apple Computer, Inc - in the '/Applications/' folder), then see 'Using Mac OS X Mail'.

where i run into trouble setting it up is in the "incoming mail server" field. i tried pasting the URL of my inbox page there-to no avail. also im not sure if it's an IMAP server or POP. its bellsouth DSL webmail if anyone knows which i should select. im certain i would like it better, not having to open safari and load the page each time i want to check my mail, so let e know if yall have any specifics on settting up the bellsouth mail with it.

thanks...got it! after using a windows based pc for my whole life, its tough figuring these things out...but everytime i get a new one up and running i love it.

Back