Mac Mini - Any memory will do?

clc2112

Registered
hey got a mac mini. Upgraded to 512 startight away. First stick was kingston, lasted a few hrs then got a kernel panic.

Then got PNY from CompUSA. lasted a few weeks and it went bad too.

Apparently I need to be more picky here? I was getting brand name 3200 memory. Would a mail order stick (welovemacs.com or crucial.com) "specifically" for a mac mini be a better bet?

Im now back to the original 256 stick now :(

thanks

calvin

clc2112 said:
hey got a mac mini. Upgraded to 512 startight away. First stick was kingston, lasted a few hrs then got a kernel panic.

Then got PNY from CompUSA. lasted a few weeks and it went bad too.

Apparently I need to be more picky here? I was getting brand name 3200 memory. Would a mail order stick (welovemacs.com or crucial.com) "specifically" for a mac mini be a better bet?

Im now back to the original 256 stick now :(

thanks

calvin

Newer Macs are picky about memory. There are other things involved with ram type besides the PC number such as; error checking, timing and voltage. It is possible that the sticks you have don't match what the mac needs.

Crucial is my favorite place to buy RAM. They make it easy for you to find what you need for your computer, just follow the menu. Plus, crucial is made by mircon and micron makes "Apple" memory.

I've always had good success with memorytogo.com. I have bought 3 DIMMs from them over the past few years. You can select your Mac model (I think on the left side of the screen) and it will show you what you want.

The prices may be less expensive than Crucial.

Also, I believe you can use 2700 instead of 3200. Check Apple's tech specs to be sure. http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html

Yes . . . "PC2700 (333MHz) DDR SDRAM, supports up to 1GB" from the above url

Doug

Back