Mac Mini: do I need a screen?

bobw said:
The Mac Mini doesn't need a monitor, adapter or dongle to run headless. Apple states that.

I've been told otherwise by people who have mini's. Aparrently, there is no display output, but everything else works. Could you please state where Apple say that?

This guy has tries VNC, Teleport, and even RD but still no display output.

http://www.macworld.com/2005/01/news/macminifaq/index.php
Can I use the Mac mini as a headless server?

Hoo boy, there’s a whole article in there. Stay tuned for that one. But yes, you can. You’ll need to attach it to a keyboard, mouse, and display to get it set up the first time, and if your Mac mini has Bluetooth, be sure to uncheck the “Open Bluetooth Setup Assistant at startup when no input device is present” option in the Bluetooth System Preferences, or every time your headless Mac boots it’s going to complain that it doesn’t have a keyboard or mouse. Turning off Sleep in the Energy Saver control panel would be a good idea, too.

Hey bookem - I could never get a VNC connection to work until I used Apple's Remote Desktop 2 Client software. Install that and you'll get a VNC server. It only works in 10.3 Panther - but even though its supposedly a little slow its very easy to set up and its the only VNC to support multiple monitors (not that that's an issue here). Oh yes and it works. Once installed configure it in System Prefs->Sharing->Services->Apple Remote Desktop->Access Priviledges->CHECK VNC viewers may control screen with password.......

I also have to big-up Chicken of the VNC as my now favourite VNC client app. Also very easy. (Host = IP address, Display/Port=5900)

Gabs

Back