Mac Mini not booting

mexicodenis

Registered
I have a mac mini (about a year old) running OSX... but I don't know which version...nor can I find that information since I cannot get the computer to boot. Everything was working fine until this morning when I did an Apple systems update. Again, I cannot remember which programs were updated.
Before the update, I was down to a very little bit of memory +1GB, I think.

When I followed the prompts to restart, that's when the problems begain. I believe that I had to do a force quit and them then ended up holding down the power button. When I restarted, I had a grey screen with a grey apple logo and the spinning bars.

I attempted to boot from the install disk while holding down the "C" key.
I was given the choice to reinstall the software (an older version than is currently on the computer) while saving passwords, settings, etc OR doing a clean install. I then attempted to do a reinstall, but was told there is not enough memory.

It seems at this point my only solution is to do a clean install... and wipe out tons of files, photos, etc. that are not backed up.

By the way, I am in Mexico... in a small town without any Apple support.
However, I am going to the US in just over two weeks and could take the mini with me to an Apple store.

Any suggestions at all?

Back