mac mini - robert x cringely's take on it!

I enjoyed his commentary. I certainly hope that such a thing will come to pass, and I had originally considered purchasing a Mini for that exact purpose but I was caught short by the lack of a digital audio output, which would be kind of important. Of course there nay be some device I am unaware of that may fill that need.
Best Regards
Andy

If it's purely digital audio output in stereo then something like the Edirol UA-1D should suffice.

http://www.minidisco.com/ua-1d.html

Works with Mac OS X.

Something like the M-Audio Sonica should be more than good enough for surround output. It's not digital but unless you've spent quite a bit of money on your sound system then the 24bit/96KHz will probably be more than adequate.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/SonicaTheater-main.html

All the digital surround output devices i've looked at i've found to be far to expensive to justify especially with home surround speakers. But hey, someone else might know of a more affordable digital solution for you.

The Edirol UA-1D USB Digital Audio interface would do the trick, at least for me . Thanks for the heads up. The trick is, will DVD player app output audio to it , in time with picture. Details Details.

Best Regards
Andy

Perfectly fine with me!

I've been considering Mini to put in my stereo rack and do two things:
1) Serve my very very low trafficked personal Web site
2) Server a better iTunes to stero connection than the lame TiVo
Home Media kit can (MP3's only and connection needs reset every day)

So, since I'll already have this in my stereo/tv/TiVo rack, the addition of video capabilities would be double-bonus!!!

:-D

IMHO a better "content" partnership would be Apple + TiVo + Netflix... but maybe Sony is the "hardware" partner.

You don't need one, do you? We don't have a TV, but we watch DVD movies on my Mac already.

Not that we watch movies all that often. Mostly we just rent them, and then a week + a day later, we say "Oh, weren't those movies due back yesterday?"

Nope, we watch part of a DVD once a week. We actually got a VCR last year :)eek:) and use a switch of some kind with the computer monitor. Hey, if it works! :)

Clearly I'm not the only one considering hooking up the mini to a new TV with DVI support... There are a TON of posts on Apple's discussion board

IMHO the concensus seems to be that we should wait for:
a) The release of Tiger
b) The much-hoped-for Apple<-->Sony announcement

A couple of things I just don't understand about this:

1. EyeTV will record HD TV on the Mac. However, from what I've read a dual G5 Mac is required to watch it. By this measure, the Mac mini isn't powerful enough to display HD TV.
  2. HD movies are huge (storage wise). Broadband downloading isn't going to cut it (esp. for viewing on a regular basis).
What am I missing?

Kap

Looks like a nice solution - Pro HiFi Link - but there is no mention of Mac in my initial browse of the the info. Might work off the shelf if everybody is playing by the rules.

Ceroc Addict - my idea for using the thing is to load all my DVD's onto a drive and then play the back on the Mini, no disc handling keeps the kids from scratching the disc's My simple mind.
Best Regards
Andy Potvin

Andy_Potvin said:
Ceroc Addict - my idea for using the thing is to load all my DVD's onto a drive and then play the back on the Mini, no disc handling keeps the kids from scratching the disc's My simple mind.
Best Regards
Andy Potvin
I like this idea, but what does it have to do with HD TV?

Kap

Back