Mac Mini Wireless Range

BikerRob

Registered
Hey all!

I just picked up a Mac Mini (to go along with the MacBook & iMac already in our house). The Mini is "slightly used" and about two months old (so it's the latest version).

I am really surprised at how limited the wireless range seems to be compared to the laptops, and want to confirm that this is normal.

Right now, my MacBook is showing full strength on the wireless connection (four bars).
The Mac Mini can't even FIND the connection, let along connect to it!

My first thought was that it wasn't working, so I put the Mini right beside the wireless router, and it gave me three bars and connected. So, I know it works.

But I'm shocked that I am unable to access it. My MacBook (and iMac) will find four or five wireless networks from the neighbourhood (including mine). The Mini finds nothing.

Is this normal? If so, is there a way to improve this, or will I be stuck with either sharing an internet connection via Firewire or connecting the Mini via Ethernet.

Rob

generally the mini's have a smaller range because wireless network antenna is internal. your macbook has an external antenna that helps with the wireless signal. the mini shouldn't be as bad as sitting right next to the base station that you get only 3 bars. make sure that you have all of the airport software up to date on the mini and that your running at least 10.4.10.

do you know if the previous owner took it apart? if they did, it's possible that they didn't connect the antenna cable completely when they were putting it back together. just a thought.

Thanks Xero ... the Mini was opened, because he changed the Ram on it, so I'll check and see if the antenna is installed fully.

It's weird ... I can have it less than a foot away from the router and only get three bars.

Back