MAC networking for dummies - G3 Help?

schipps

Registered
Hi all, my name is Sara. I’m actually a primarily windows programmer, however, in my freelancing I have a client who uses all MACs in her home (greek to me). She has a G3 Blue and White that I am trying to get online. She has a cable modem that is hooked up to an Airport along with her G4 Powerbook which is running OSx. The G3 is running OS 8.2 I believe???? (Sorry, I’m not in front of it right now).

When I try to hook up the G3 to the airport I realize that in order to get it online I must adjust the TCP/IP settings to link it to the Airport. When I go to open the TCP/IP control panel I get an error message that says I do not have access to this control panel. I did a search on MAC.com for this error message and couldn’t find it. I don’t know if this is a common error message. It seems I have access to certain control panels and not others? This is odd to me. Can someone point me in the right direction?

If the Mac (not "MAC" ;)) is running something other than OS X, then you need to head to the Apple menu on the top left and head to Control Panels-->TCP/IP. If the Airport is giving out the IP addresses dynamically, all you need to do in the TCP/IP control panel for the G3 is set it for DHCP for the Airport interface. As for connecting to the wireless network, you can use the Airport Setup Assistant in the Apple Extras folder in the hard drive to give you a step-by-step walkthrough in configuring the Airport card in the G3 to access the Airport basestation (it's possible that this might even handle the TCP/IP settings so you might want to do this first).

Let us know how it turns out.

Thank you, Geek!! ;) The problem I am having is that when I go to open the TCP/IP control panel it says I do not have access to open the control panel. Have you ever heard anything like this beofre?

Hmm....sounds like someone might have set up multiple user accounts through the Multiple Users control panel. As far as I know, Mac OS 9 was the first to introduce this (although I could be wrong...possibly since 8.5 or 8.6?). Have you tried disabling wht Multiple Users control panel by holding down Cmd-Option after the startup chime in order to bring up the Extensions Manager? If not, give this a whirl and disable that particular control panel by unchecking it. Then close the window and allow it to boot up. Then try heading to the TCP/IP settings again and see what that does.

Back