MAC not detecting my USB key

Valem

Registered
Hello all,

Every time I plug in my USB key, my MAC doesn't detect it, like it doesn't pop up on my desktop, I even check in my Macintosh HD Drive and it isn't there. It use to work but now it has stopped.

Another thing, for some reason I can't install updates for my MAC. I also can't even right click on my dock, but I can left click on my dock to start applications. Another thing, my MAC takes an awful long time to boot up and every time I go and play WoW, it randomly crashes and I would have to restart my MAC, which I hate doing because it takes too long. Every time I try and update it, it says there's a problem with my Installer app. I was thinking of reinstalling MAC OS X but I have stuff to back up, hence the problem with my USB key. (I have OS X Tiger)

Any help with what I mentioned above will be appreciated. Thanks.

Every time I plug in my USB key, my MAC doesn't detect it, ...
First off, it is Mac, not MAC. The Mac is a line of computers from Apple. MAC is an acronym for Media Access Control, which identifies every device on an Ethernet network. Read more about it here.

But, I digress. You gave absolutely no information about your USB key. I presume that it is a USB thumb drive or Flash drive. It would really be helpful if you would say something about this USB key.

Some more information about your Mac (which is short for "Macintosh" :)) would help as well, such as the model (eg: "Power Macintosh G4", "600 MHz slot-loading iMac G3 Snow", etc.) and any other information you can give (RAM, OS X version, hard drive size, etc.).

There are some Macs that have USB ports that don't have enough power to mount the USB flash drive. I just had this happen to me on an old iMac G3 when I connected a particular USB flash drive to the USB port on the keyboard. Once I plugged it to the USB port on the Mac itself, it worked. Try a different USB port (specifically one on the computer itself) and see if it works.

Back