Mac not shutting down or restarting

future3

Registered
I have a iBook G4 1.2Ghz running Tiger V.10.4.1.

After using some mac optimisation tools such as Cocktail (I cleaned the cache, run cron scripts, deleted all rotated log files, update prebinding, repair disk permisions) and SpeedTools (to defragment my volume) I found that my Mac didn't shut down or restart - both showing the same behavioural properties.

When I click shut down the dock goes as normal and everything goes from the screen as expected.

It then goes into a state where my wallpaper shows, the mouse pointer shows but it fails to shut down (or restart). Its obviously got to do with using those damn optimisation tools.

Can anyone help me?

I've found the sudo shutdown -r now command allows the mac to shutdown properly but it goes back to normal after that.

Yes it also hit my Mac, a 733 G4 running the full Tiger and its latest update. Grey screen, no restart, no shutdown. It feels like an application is still running and won't let it shutdown. I can't figure it out. Konfabulator, maybe? Almighty god, Apple, doesn't want to help. Goodness they have hubris to spare. Could it be an application that won't quit?

Could you launch (in Applications/Utilities) the ActivityMonitor and see which process is still running ?
Phil

I had the same problem ever since installing Extensis Suitcase X1 on my G5 (OSX 10.3.9). In the Activity Monitor it says that the loginwindow process is "hanging" (shows up in red), but just for a moment and then the "hanging" message disappears and I still cannot shut down.

Back