Mac OS 10.2.3!

Stridder44

Universal Traveler
Mac OS 10.2.3 is supposed to come out around december/January and will include intense iChat updates and improvments (will be iChat 1.1) along with other minor system improvments. It's also said that a possible ICQ integration will be included as well...:D :p

i've also heard that this will be the release that will kill the ability to boot into os 9. i'm not sure if that's true or doable... just what ive read in a lot of places.

Really!? Ew...I don't think a whole lot of people would like that if that were to happen ( I dout that they would do something like this this soon...but you never know). Apple, I'm sure, would get alot of complaints. People still use OS 9 to a degree for various reasons.:( :p :eek: :confused:

keep in mind this is only what ive read in a few forums... this is nowhwere close to a fact - just rumors ive read.

i can't imagine system software that would keep your mac from booting up in os 9. maybe keep you from booting up classic, but not os 9. keep in mind that os 9 and classic are not exactly the same.

still , that would be a bad move as far i'm concerned. and frankly, i don't understand why apple would have to remove the ability to use classic at any point in the foreseable future. there are still too many mac users who haven't switched to osx and taking away classic would only make many of them put the move off further.

they'll never get rid of classic IMO.... i think that's one of the best things about OSX - the compatibility between the old and the new.

Originally posted by wtmcgee
i've also heard that this will be the release that will kill the ability to boot into os 9. i'm not sure if that's true or doable... just what ive read in a lot of places.

Anyone who has ever booted into MacOS 9 on a computer that has MacOS X installed knows that it is impossible for MacOS X to prevent booting into MacOS 9. Speculation to the contrary is just plain silly.

OpenFirmware.

A simple update to your computer decides on whether you'll be able to boot from anything but X.

Just like the firmware decides, whether an iBook can use monitor spanning or not. (You'll find info about that hack on some forums. Guess here, too...) Then again, I guess there'll be a hack to boot OS 9 afterwards, too.

Also, Apple has clearly stated that new machines released starting in 2003 will only boot in X and not in 9. They didn't say they would change anything in your current hardware to prevent booting to 9. Would also make no sense, as the 'upgrade' could then very well be subject to some lawsuits, because such behaviour would basically 'break' your machine, if you're used to work in 9 and 10 together.

So don't fear.

I don't care about OS 9 any more. Since 10.1.x, I have no OS 9 installed. I would love to see if ICQ would be intergrated! ICQ is my primary IM tool but yet the client is so buggy. Also, it would save my dock if I had to only open iChat :)

Well if you eat a monkey, eat that Anahiem Angel rally monkey, i hate that corny thing, well you can't blame it, just the people who thought it was a good idea. Anyway, I still have to boot into 9 to burn CDs, which is a pain, but i have no other options since QPS won't release a driver.The ability to have daul boot isn't hurting X, so why should they remove it. If they sell computers without it, fine, i guess they will try to make extra profit by selling it. Imagine that, Classic Mac, maybe with a new interface or appearance theme and stability enhancements that will allow it to run in X as if it were booted under 9, that would be worth $30.

Originally posted by wtmcgee

No, it doesn't make sense that OS X can prevent booting into OS 9. Are you thinking of the announcement that Macs announced starting next year won't have ROM support for OS 9? Here's the announcement: http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2002/sep/10macosx.html

Originally posted by wmono
No, it doesn't make sense that OS X can prevent booting into OS 9. Are you thinking of the announcement that Macs announced starting next year won't have ROM support for OS 9? Here's the announcement: http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2002/sep/10macosx.html

It's quite easy to make new mac non-OS 9 compatible: yes, change the ROM, or... change the memory management model, or another peripheral... or change the file system. We don't know what OS-X is able to do.

Or, just make it that little bit more difficult - just remove the option in the startup disk prefs to choose OS 9 volumes. Then you'd have to boot from an OS 9 CD to select an OS 9 volume - that would be enough to put most people off using 9.

It figures that 10.2.3 is gonna come out in the next couple months - I just upgraded my iMac to 10.2.2 earlier this week...

Only Macintosh computers releasing in 2003 will not be able to boot into Mac OS 9. Current Macintosh are still bootable to OS 9.

Think about this: if Apple removed the ability for currect Macs, many people would sue Apple because their Macs was said to support Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X.

That's what I said before, but I'm glad you're repeating it. But that people really are so afraid of Apple taking 9 away scares me a bit, I must say.

I really do hope Quark gets its act together and does what was said a few weeks ago: Quark 6 is going to be Mac OS X only. Whether that means a clean Cocoa version (would be sweet if that would mean they license WebObjects or YellowBox for the Windows version, eh?) or at least a good Carbon app, it's a good sign that they leave OS 9 behind. It'll mean a big jump forward for the print industry (for those who haven't switched to InDesign, which is a big jump forward for design beauty and creativity - at least was for me, I could never go back to XPress and PageMaker now...).

Back