Mac Os 10.2.8 Loses Video On Beige G3 Towers

ShalomOrchard

Registered
I have several Beige G3 towers I've run 10.2 on for a while. However, it seems like the latest updates to 10.2.8.whatever have seriously compromised the stability of these machines. They periodically lose video, or freeze up.

Is this a known problem? Any ideas?

Thanks, Jim Baranski

If i remember correctly those machines had issues with waking up from a sleep in X.2.8 so that could potentially be the root of the problem? try to change the computers to never go to sleep in the enger saver prefpane. I could be remembering this wrong though.

That's not the problem. I'd heard of that problem too, and I've already
set them to never go to sleep, don't spin down drives, don't turn display
off, etc.

The problem happens when I'm actively using the computer, in mid-keystroke so to speak!

Thanks, Jim.

Well, is there anything you use that you absolutely have to have 10.2.8 for? You may want to take it down one update.

I've kept most of the systems I take care of (of that vintage) at 10.2.6. Most things that say they need 10.2.8 actually work fine with 10.2.6 (actually they should work fine with anything over 10.2.3 as I recall).

Sorry I don't have a better solution.

This problem is known as the Beige G3 or Wallstreet Black Screen problem.

It affects OSX from 10.2.8 onwards including panther and tiger.

I've narrowed the problem down to the IONDRVSupport kernel extension.

I've compiled a new IONDRVSupport kernel extension from the Darwin source code that doesn't have the Black Screen problem.

If anyone wants to try it send me a message.

macosxuser said:
This problem is known as the Beige G3 or Wallstreet Black Screen problem.

It affects OSX from 10.2.8 onwards including panther and tiger.

I've narrowed the problem down to the IONDRVSupport kernel extension.

I've compiled a new IONDRVSupport kernel extension from the Darwin source code that doesn't have the Black Screen problem.

If anyone wants to try it send me a message.

This is good to know. How about a writeup that you can post in the HOW-TO section of the forum? That way you don't get inundated with PMs and e-mails. ;)

so why did i never have this problem with 10.2.8 on my 8600? speaking of which, you might want to try using xpostfacto. not only was it written to install os x on old world macs, but many also said that it made os x more stable on older supported macs like the g3. but it may require a reinstall of os x to work.

Back