Mac OS 9.2.1

Willy

Registered
I have been having the same problem on stat up, my G4 freeze after the first icon appears. I reset once or twice than it's ok. Has anyone found a solution.

My Mac is
G4, 350MHz, 320 Ram, 9Gig HD

Try reinstalling and formattig your HD ... Not in that order of course ...

Anyway, it's a last resort but I'm pretty sure it'll help

I say unless you're running OS X, revert to 9.1. There's no benefit to 9.2.1, unless you're using it for classic mode under OS X.

I had problems on my Cube with 9.2.1, and had to revert.

Now, I've got two partitions-- one with 9.1 for booting directly into 9, and another with OS X and 9.2.1

Have you run the recent firmware update? That may help as well.

CV

chris, imo, and in my experience I found that 9.2.1 when performed as a clean install makes most machines run much quicker. (This is of course opinion based, and not fact... but, let me tell you what I've done)

I've got 12 machines in the office I IT for.
3 are "Original" iMac's (With the corny laptop CD-Rom drives)
3 are iMac slot-loaders
3 are iMac DV's
2 are TiG4's
1 is a (my) PowerBook FireWire

On all of the machines a clean install was performed...
(didn't zero out the data, but initialized all the same)

All users had a marked increase in speed. This of course happens if you do a clean install of 8.6 as well, but... In approximation Microsoft Word opens about three times faster on the 9.2.1 imac than the 9.1 (and yes, they have the exact same configuration)

I feel it's worth it, and at the very worst you're ready for the jump into 10...

Originally posted by twyg
chris, imo, and in my experience I found that 9.2.1 when performed as a clean install makes most machines run much quicker. (This is of course opinion based, and not fact... but, let me tell you what I've done)

I've got 12 machines in the office I IT for.
3 are "Original" iMac's (With the corny laptop CD-Rom drives)
3 are iMac slot-loaders
3 are iMac DV's
2 are TiG4's
1 is a (my) PowerBook FireWire

On all of the machines a clean install was performed...
(didn't zero out the data, but initialized all the same)

All users had a marked increase in speed. This of course happens if you do a clean install of 8.6 as well, but... In approximation Microsoft Word opens about three times faster on the 9.2.1 imac than the 9.1 (and yes, they have the exact same configuration)

I feel it's worth it, and at the very worst you're ready for the jump into 10...

I agree, to a point. I've only got two machines, but my experience was mixed. My Cube was much, much faster after installng 9.2.1-- for a while Then slowly, over a period of days, it bogged down-- Startup times increased from 1.5 minutes to 3 minutes+, and app launches got slower, too, with Illustrator being the worst, sometimes taking over a minute(!) to launch. Photoshop would hang opening files, even small ones, for 15 to 20 seconds, and Eudora was just plain awful in all respects-- launching, moving from window to window, opening and closing messages, etc.

None of the usual maintenence routines helped, and I've got em all. TechTool didn't find any file structure problems, and rebuilding the directories with Disk Warrior had no effect. I rebuilt the desktop, zapped pram, all that stuff. Finally, I just wiped the drive, and dragged and dropped my 9.1 folder (wisely saved on a firewire disk) back to my internal drive, and all was well again.

On my G4 450 AGP at work, things went better. Still have the glacial startup times, but none of the other problems. No big increase in speed, though, but Illustrator did get a little more stable.

One thing I did notice when installing 9.2.1 on a clean drive, is that immediately after the install, Disk Warrior found 49% of the directories to be out of order. I noticed this on both machines, when doing the full install from the CD included in the OS 10.1 retail box.

I DO think 9.2.1 is nice and stable when used for Classic mode. It does still have its place on my machines.

CV

Back