Mac OS 9

There are lots of folks that could do it. Whether they will or not is another matter.

Myself, I will never do another OS 9 project. Unless you're paying at least double the normal rate, it's just not worth it.

I would have become a Mac OS 9 programmer, but there's almost no free or dirt-cheap compilation software out there for OS 9. The cheapest actual good product, I believe, was CodeWarrior education edition or something like that, and it was in the arena of $70. Nowadays, I'm either an online programmer, a Windows Java programmer, or (at some point) an Xcode programmer.

What are you working on that you need an OS 9 programmer for? What language are you working with?

Anyone that can write Carbon applications(and there are still a lot) can write OS 9 applications. There aren't a lot of professional programmers here that I know of.

Well, it's not a matter of writing it. That's the easy part. Trying to debug it through constant crashes and continually having to reboot between OS X and OS 9 to do your development is what makes it so painful. I guess if someone has never upgraded to OS X, or has enough money to have a second computer running only OS 9, it wouldn't be that bad. But, having tried to support an OS 9 product when running OS X, I can tell you that it's a major pain to switch back and forth all the time (and no, often Classic by itself is not sufficient).

Perhaps if the original poster told us more about what this software needs to do, we could give even better suggestions.

Wade

Back