Mac OS file system help

Wolmar

Registered
Last night something terrible happened to me. As I was downloading some files usigt Fetch I recieved a server message, the contens is not important but after that fetch started acting wierd. The download was canceled and, tired as I was, I decided just to shut everything off. While shutting down Fetch I recieved a message from Finder saying that there's been some kind of error. All files that usually decorate my desktop had disappeared. I thought "Ah, that's nothing a restart can't solve." , but when I tried to restart it froze. Still beein optimistic I used the restart button on my iMac. During the reboot Disk First Aid told me that it's found an error it could not repair.
I put in the Mac OS install cd and rebooted. Now I was sertain, all files located on my desktop was gone. Using Shelock I was able to run a search on the missing files, it turned out to be a success — all the files are still there but the desktop folder seem to be missing.

The files showed up like this
Folder -> Folder -> File name
instead of
HD -> Desktop -> Folder -> Folder -> File name

(These files cannot be opened moved or used in any other way)

Please help me out. I somehow need to relocate these files by changing their position in the Mac OS file system.

Note: If I try to open the HD folder I recieve an empty error message and the computer'll freeze. All other files and folders (except the ones previously located on the desktop) can be opened through a Sherlock search

Have you tried booting off of the OS 9 CD and running Disk First Aid on the Drive? It sounds like a corupted database.

I haven't tried that yet since I'm afraid I might loose the misplaced files.
Isn't there a Mac OS debugger or something, to relocate the files manually.

I'm never lucky with Disk First Aid. When I have a crash it's a REAL crash and DFA never was any good.

I prefer Norton Utilities or (got one of those?) the Tech Tool CD that came with my wifes iMac.

/Björn

Back