Mac OS Server 10.3 Open Directory Problem

dastrix

Registered
Hi

I have a 10.3 Server which is to be used as a open directory file server, it is going to be used to grab home directorys from server,

But after installing the server i cannot login from any clients, i have set it up in directory access to use the ldap server ie my mac xserve.

Any help with what i may have messed up with would be great.

The Users just cant login it shakes the screen as if the username and password are wrong,

Thanks In Advance

Firstly

Is your server running as an OD Master? , check the overview tab and make sure all the services are running.

Then on your client machine, setup an LDAP connection using your Directory Access application and then map your Authentication and Contact information, using the Add custom button.

Reboot and login with a user who is in the shared directory.

Pippa.

If you need a more thorough explanation then please give me a shout.

Hi There,

Yeah it is an OD master, and the overview tab does have all services are running.

I have set up the ldap connection inside directory access. but still not able to login, the screen just shakes, if u can give me a bit more help that would be great

dastrix said:
Hi There,

Yeah it is an OD master, and the overview tab does have all services are running.

I have set up the ldap connection inside directory access. but still not able to login, the screen just shakes, if u can give me a bit more help that would be great

Can you login all the users on the SERVER itself.

Als you must create the users in the LDAP area, not in the LOCAL area in the Workgroup Manager. You can change this by clicking on the round pciture, just below the ADMIN option in your menu bar. For editing use other to select an LDAP database.

Good luck, Kees

Use the directory service command line tool from the clients to see if your properly able to even read from the LDAP.

from a terminal window:

dscl localhost
cd LDAPv3
ls

you should get a listing of your OD in the list, cd to it and ls again, you should see your organizational containers like users, groups, computers, etc. cd into your users and try and read a user's data:

read UserNameHere

If you can't get all through that, you're not configured properly.

Also, be sure you created your users in a network viewable directory. Got a good DNS config on your network as well? :)

dastrix said:
Hi What do u mean by

Cheers in advance

So, Workgroup Manager can create accounts in many different directories, some being network viewable and some could be local. For example, if you see your directory node listed as LDAPv3 at 127.0.0.1, then your looking at your LDAP on the local server, which is network viewable. If you see your node as NetInfo, then its local accounts that are not shared out to the network.

Back