Mac OS X 10.1.5...

Paragon

Interstellar traveler
...coming out soon. This is an article from spymac (I know I know), but it sounds believable.

Jaguar may have all the speed and features, but those interested in Mac OS 10.1.5 need look no further than the local Apple store.

"All of the new display iBooks have 10.1.5 installed," reports one Apple retail employee via telephone.

"We've had more than a few Apple fans get pretty excited after discovering this."

The new 600MHz and 700MHz iBooks are still shipping to consumers with Mac OS X 10.1.4.

Apple has declared the minor update the last refresh before the introduction of the next major Mac OS X revision, codenamed Jaguar. Recent internal builds of 10.1.5 are reportedly "ready for primetime."

Notable changes in 10.1.5 include faster iDisk access and Quartz anti-aliasing in Carbon applications.

...I can't wait. :D

quote:Jaguar may have all the speed and features, but those interested in Mac OS 10.1.5 need look no further than the local Apple store.

Wow, that's really a great ad for 10.1.5, huh? :rolleyes: :p

Originally posted by Paragon
....I can't wait. :D

What for what? 10.1.5 barely adds anything! It adds a little eject icon that apears on the screen when you press eject on the keyboard. It also adds some more compatibility. BTW it does NOT add anti aliasing to carbon apps. 10.2 doesn't even do that as of yet. It is possible that it makes iDisk faster. I know 10.2 does, but I can't verify that 10.1.5 will.

BTW it does NOT add anti aliasing to carbon apps

Yes it does, the App developer just needs to add some more code to specify it, like Microsoft is doing to IE, but taking their sweet time and thus holding up 10.1.5 for all of us.

Originally posted by dricci

Yes it does, the App developer just needs to add some more code to specify it, like Microsoft is doing to IE, but taking their sweet time and thus holding up 10.1.5 for all of us.

Oh, makes sense. Still, its nothing to get exited over. You can use Navigator or Omniweb, or Chimera, or almost ANYTHING BUT IE if you want anti-aliased text. I like it better off, personally.

... and for those of us who do NOT only browse the internet? :)

Carbon apps getting Quartz AntiAliasing is a *great* thing for updated AppleWorks and MS Office IMHO. Plus: I *want* IE to get this update. Even if I only use it for some stuff that doesn't work in OW atm.

Originally posted by Holmes

What for what? 10.1.5 barely adds anything! It adds a little eject icon that apears on the screen when you press eject on the keyboard.

FYI the eject icon appears in 10.1.4 on my new flat-panel iMac so that's not a new feature for 10.1.5.

Originally posted by AlanBDahl

FYI the eject icon appears in 10.1.4 on my new flat-panel iMac so that's not a new feature for 10.1.5.

Really? Well then its REALLY nothing to get excited over.

Originally posted by AlanBDahl

Doesn't on mine. Mine is about 3 months old now.

Originally posted by LordOphidian

Doesn't on mine. Mine is about 3 months old now.

Mine is brand-new, just received on May 24th. Looks like there is more than one version of 10.1.4 out there! My old CRT iMac shows the build number as "5Q125" while the new one shows it as "5R48", interesting!

Think I'll start a new thread about this...

While 10.1.5 is not a HUGE update, it is making our OS better. I'm looking forward to it just because it means we're that much closer to Jaguar. :p

Mac OS X Update 10.1.5 delivers enhancements which improve the reliability of Mac OS X applications, delivers improved networking, security, and expanded peripheral device support. Specific improvements include:

Peripheral Device Support:
-Expanded support for new Canon digital cameras
-Improved support for Nikon FireWire cameras
-Expanded support for SmartDisk, EZQuest, and LaCie disc recording devices
-Improved support for MO drives

Application Improvements:
-Increased stability of Mail and Sherlock
-Emails are properly retained when rebuilding the Draft mailbox
-Updated Carbon applications can use Quartz anti-aliasing technology for high quality text display

Networking and Security Improvements:
-Improves networking via AFP when accessing multi-level directories on Windows NT file servers
-Significant improvement to file searching on local and remote volumes
-Mail accounts go off-line to indicate that SSL encryption settings are not supported by the mail server

WebDAV Improvements:
-More efficient iDisk mounting and file navigation
-Added support for connecting to iDisk using default DNS settings of AirPort
-Support for mounting a WebDAV volume from a non-standard http port

Asian Language Improvements:
-Significant updates to the Korean Input Method, especially important when using AppleWorks
-Internet Connect and Airport applications updated with Chinese and Korean localized content

Looks like iDisk will get faster. That's about the only thing that excites me about this release :D

I like the new camera support. My mom just bought a Canon PowerShot A40, hopefully that will be supported now :)
It's supposed to be a lot faster from what I've heard...

Here is to hopeing that the A40 will be supported! I would like to buy that camra but have put it off due to the lack of support.

Originally posted by Aftershock
*10.1.5 readme file*
Hey, you got another one. I got this:
Update 10.1.5 delivers enhancements which improve the reliability of Mac OS X applications, delivers improved networking, security, support for PC Card serial communication devices, and expanded peripheral device support. Specific improvements include:

Peripheral Device Support:
- Expanded support for new Canon digital cameras.
- Improved support for Nikon FireWire cameras.
- Expanded support for SmartDisk, EZQuest, and LaCie disc recording devices.
- Improved support for MO drives.

Application Improvements:
- Increased stability of Mail and Sherlock.
- Emails are properly retained when rebuilding the Draft mailbox.
- Support for 2D and QuickTime hardware acceleration for Rage Pro.
- Updated Carbon applications can use Quartz anti-aliasing technology for high quality text display.

Networking and Security Improvements:
- Improves networking via AFP when accessing multi-level directories on Windows NT file servers.
- Significant improvement to file searching on local and remote volumes.
- Includes a generic PC Card driver to support a variety of PC Card modems.
- Mail accounts go offline to indicate that SSL encryption settings are not supported by mail server.
- Includes Security Update April 2002.

WebDAV Improvements:
- More efficient iDisk mounting and file navigation.
- Added support for connecting to iDisk using default DNS settings of AirPort.
- Support for mounting a WebDAV volume from a non-standard http port.

Asian Language Improvements:
- Significant updates to the Korean Input Method, especially important when using AppleWorks.
- Internet Connect and AirPort applications updated with Chinese and Korean localized content.

10.1.5.jpg

5S57.jpg

Back