Mac OS X 10.1 not booting

gundam8598

Registered
Hi,

I have a Powerbook Wallstreet G3 that I just bought from ebay. I just installed Mac OS X 10.1 and it worked intil I shutdown the computer. I have reinstall it 5 times already. For some reason when I turn it off it can't find Mac OS X it shows a floppy with a question Mark.

I'm stumped any idea's?

I never used 10.1, but it sounds like it can't find the startup disk. I don't if this will work with 10.1, but in other versions of OS X, you can hold down the Option key while booting, and it should bring up a list of the available disks that it can boot from.

btoth said:
I never used 10.1, but it sounds like it can't find the startup disk. I don't if this will work with 10.1, but in other versions of OS X, you can hold down the Option key while booting, and it should bring up a list of the available disks that it can boot from.

Tried it, it didn't work :(

What size hard drive do you have installed in your system?

And if it is larger than 8 GB, do you have it partitioned? And did you install Mac OS X on the first partition?

RacerX said:
What size hard drive do you have installed in your system?

And if it is larger than 8 GB, do you have it partitioned? And did you install Mac OS X on the first partition?

20GB Hard Drive

I have the partition on 7.8GB and what's left on the other. Yup I installed it to the first partition.

I figured something out, I installed Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X on the same partition. But I set in Mac OS X to startup in 9 but how do I chnage it back to start back up in Mac OS X?

gundam8598 said:
But I set in Mac OS X to startup in 9 but how do I chnage it back to start back up in Mac OS X?
9.1 and later have a version of the Startup Disk control panel that can see Mac OS X... I don't think the Startup Disk control panel that came with 9.0-9.0.4 could do this.

Having both on the same partition shouldn't be too much of an issue (just try not to use the root level of that partition for file storage and the like).

I haven't had too many issues like your having with my Wallstreet though. But than again, I was going from Rhapsody 5.6 to Mac OS X v10.2. I have installed Mac OS X Developer Preview 4, Public Beta, 10.0 and 10.1 on it, but all for very short periods (and on disks that were 8 GB or smaller, I have a second drive where my battery used to be for additional storage).

In other words, I'm trying to recall my experience with 10.1 from a brief encounter with it on my Wallstreet many years ago. Sorry if it is not much help.

On a side note (not really related too much to this topic), I only tried a larger hard drive in my Wallstreet once. The drive created a magnetic field which triggered the hardware sleep switch and was unusable (there are tricks around this, but I opted for two hard drives instead). As I recall the primary manufacturer of drives that cause this issue was IBM.

Just in case some one comes across that issue.

I finally got it to work!! I went out and bought 10.2 and now it starts up fine without 9. All that time it was 10.1, but that was weird how it won't start in 10.1 on the wallstreet. However 10.2 starts up perfectly fine. Thanks for all your help guys.

:D

Back