Mac OS X 10.3.1 soon

i dont have the money to upgrade anyway, but I dont mind waiting a little bit for all the major/minor bugs to be worked out. I'll upgrade soon...but Panther, from what I hear, is awsome, and I look forward to it.

Calling Panther a monstrosity is the most excessive hyperbole I have ever heard in the history of my life in all of the universe. Except maybe for that one.

Caling something an excessive hyperbole is very much a redundant redundancy.

Panther is the best thing to happen since my first Mac. Now, if they will include a PPD to let me use both paper casettes in my old HP IIIsi I'll be fully satisfied (the generic PPD prints, but no cassette selection option).

Terry

quiksan said:
I think Panther's plain sweet.

though I am a bit dissapointed that more apps don't seem to be compliant right across the board, but then again, I'm probably being too demanding. ;)

I'm worried tho - I read someone else is having an issue with capturing in FCE - I have a project I have to do for next week, and that better work when I get home and try it now!!!

all in all, monstrosity doesn't come to mind. freaking cool does...

I just installed 10.3.1 update 7C103!! (no, it's not on the apple website yet..) The .dmg is 448kb.
I don't know where to look for what this little update did update.. Anybody sugestions where to look for possible changes??
There was no info about what it updates in the installer nor in the package itself..

You installed an unofficial, unreleased "patch" from an unverified source, that came without any documentation? Mmmh, interesting. Next time I meet some virus writer I'll tell him to disguise his trojans as updates ... I'd start looking for virus scanners, spyware-removers and check my boot record... You DO have a backup I hope?

;) Thanks for the advice. I did consider this, and I know it's not at all smart to do, but then my computer is not in a state where i have to worry for a reinstall at all. So indeed, it's not advisable for others to do this to!!!

It did install, did not find any problem, and the package contents looked convinsing anyway (wich doesn't say a lot though.. )

To be clear: maybe there's even a possible risk that this revision number is not automatically updated by software update..

Still i wanted to try. So if there are questions with wich i can see what is updated, ask me. I'm curious, and then the forum can share this info to. Just ask me what to check if anybody has any idea what to check ;)

Thanks

this firewire drive problem... could it be why ive had to reformat my ipod twice now?

(i use the ipod as music player, file back up, and emergancy bootup system, but it gets corrupt every now and then, and i have to do a complete reformat, often times soon after starting up off of it, system installed through carbon copy cloner)

Is it advisable to erase and reformat disk before installing Panther? Also, I currently have the option of starting up on OS9 -- is that still an option in Panther? If so, which one should be installed first?

Thanks - Conrado

Cactus: What kinds of "monstrous" problems did you run into? Your situation sounds like the exception, not the rule.

Adam: Be sure to spell it "grammer." ;)

Conrado: It's the, um, cleanest method of installing Panther. I'd say back up your OS 9 System Folder (if you still have it on your drive) and then do a simple install of OS 9 (for the drivers) then install OS X on top of it. Then you can replace the simple OS 9 installation with your backed up system. And mana will fall from the heavens and all in your workplace will compute plentifully forever and ever. :)

Behold, I am Adam, the Grammer Natsee!

Yeah, a wipe and clean install is always best, but an archive and clean install is definitely a close second, if you have the space. That's what I did. Panther runs just jim dandy.

As before with 10.3.1 betas: Some bugfixes and the FW800 issue. However, they still urge users to upgrade the firmware of their FW800 harddrives.

Jason: Your iPod has a version of Mac OS X on it? Apple urges you _not_ to do that. Every firmware upgrade ot the iPod requires you to completely erase the iPod if there ever was a Mac OS X version on it since it was last erased... Dunno about OS 9, though...

ive heard carbon cloning a system over is fine, and i generally dont have a problem until ipod updates... although ive had a problem with panther (maybe because it has to run on a journaled system?)

so maybe i'll put jaguar back on it

Back