Mac OS X 10.3.3 (7F24) and Safari 1.2 Seeded

soulseek

It's set to groove
http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/01/20040129124420.shtml

Apple has seeded a new version of Mac OS X to developers. Seed 7F24 has been posted with major changes to "Graphics, OpenGL games, USB devices, printing, browsing networks, Cocoa applications".

Of most interest is the inclusion of Safari 1.2 (current released version is 1.1.1).

The newest version of Safari includes a number of significant improvements:

- Ability to "tab" to form elements (buttons, checkboxes, submit buttons)
- The option (on/off) to "tab" to hyperlinks
- Improved download manager with resume
- View dimensions of an image
- Custom cursor support
- Option to open links from applications "in a new tab in the current window"
- Improved performance

major changes ???

safari1.2 with resume function ???

wow.

cool.

hope its out soon. !!!

Sweet, I am so downloading that! Especially for Safari... the tabs from apps feature alone should be worth the wait.

As it is now if I click on a link in Mail, and Safari is already open, the link opens in a new tab…

What am I missing here? They added a checkbox?

I'm more excited about tabbing to form elements and links.

cybergoober said:
As it is now if I click on a link in Mail, and Safari is already open, the link opens in a new tab…

What am I missing here? They added a checkbox?

I'm more excited about tabbing to form elements and links.

It doesn't do that on my machine. On it, the link is displayed in a new Safari window.

Cybergoober, my mistake. My safari acts the same way. I have just been using Firebird for a while now and forgotten that safari is smart like that. I too don't understand this 'new feature' then.

Also, any idea when this update will be released?

Hehe. I found it. It's in general preferences. The last preference in that list is
"Open links from applications in: either a new window or current window"

I have it sent to current window, so it opens the page in a tab.

I got it. Safari prefs general. At the bottom select open links from apps in same window and have tabs enabled. Works great.

This combined updater actually requires 275MB of space. Or at least it did on my Powerbook. And I am certain everything was up-to-date before I did this install. Safari 1.2 (v125) does come along with this update. Paranthetically, Mail is now 1.3.4 (v613). Forgot to check and see what it was before. Looking at the Activity Monitor now and see that Safari is no longer gobbling huge quantities of memory. At least so far.

I hope it's as fast as Firebird (I think it's already faster than Camino).

To the above poster, how did you get the update already?

For the most part, these vague details aren't exactly covered by NDA... that or Apple just doesn't care about the vague details. The NDA is to prevent potential features from getting leaked to competition before they have a chance to publically release it, not prevent comments on file sizes, version numbers, and how much RAM Safari now eats.

cjboffoli: what i meant was that the DOWNLOAD is ~75 MB. Of _course_ Apple _always_ compresses those .pkg-files. ;-)

Either way, it's one of the bigger updates, it seems, and thus might still take a while before being released (more testing needed?).

I remember a Jaguar update, from not too long ago, that was over 50MB and I thought that was big. 275MB is huge! Perhaps one of the largest of this type that I have seen. But that's good because it means they have addressed a lot of improvements.

Krevinek said:
For the most part, these vague details aren't exactly covered by NDA... that or Apple just doesn't care about the vague details. The NDA is to prevent potential features from getting leaked to competition before they have a chance to publically release it, not prevent comments on file sizes, version numbers, and how much RAM Safari now eats.

Yeah, I know. I was just being facetious…

Back