Mac OS X 10.3 "Panther" Won't Support G3

I think this needs to be done... eventually. Although, 10.3 would be too soon. About 4 years after Apple stops selling computers with G3 processors would be more likely. The G3 should have support until about 2006-2007. So I wouldn't worry too much.

The Mach-O kernel should be abandoned as well imo, and on the chopping block before the G3... one of the main advantages it offered was allowing you to dual boot into OS X or Classic. With Classic dead, the advantages of Mach are withering, and it's especially holding X back with its slower message system than todays OS's. Of course, Avi loves it, so until he's replaces or changes his mind, I suspect we'll have it for a while. It would be nice to see it dropped by 2004 though.

There is a G4 processor out now that would make sense for an iBook. So to be completely honest (I don't want to start any rumors, and I have no reason to believe Apple will do this) it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the iBook and iMac got G4 processors in January. Apple may choose to wait however until there is a new processor in its pro line... the new IBM PowerPCs are my bet.

Cheers,
Dak

Why Wolf?

Nobody SHOULD do anything for us. We should do things for ourselves. Be someone responsible and self-reliant.

^_^

This is becoming an annoying trend for Apple, at least for me. I bought a PowerBook G4 550 only to discover that QuartzExtreme would not be fully supported by its graphics card. Luckily the 550 came with factory defects warranting its replacement with a new 667 DVI.

Now that I buy a iBook G3 800, I find that the next version of OS X will not be optimized to run on it. This of course is going to prompt me to sell my iBook sometime in the future because I'd like to see OS X 10.3 run faster than 10.2, not the other way around.

The G3 is capable of speeds well over 1GHz with up to a 200MHz system bus. There is no reason it should be replaced by the G4 anytime soon. In fact, its speed should have long surpassed that of the G4. The G3 is an awesome chip. Runs cool, scales well, has the same performance of a G4 of same speeds on non AltiVec apps yet Apple fails to admit this. Also, at higher speeds than the G4, it out performs it even on AltiVec apps.

Holding the G3 back is a huge blunder by Apple in my opinion. And yes, my iBook kicks the crap out of my old PowerBook in every day use for $1200 less. :D

to tell you the truth, i don't give much on that rumour. i'd wait for some first builds of Mac OS X 10.3. and you'll see reviews on the rumour sites about how well they perform on G3 and G4 hardware... you can then still sell the iBook well before the new ones appear and before 10.3 appears.

Doesn't anyone get it? OS X was never optimized for thr G3! Apple is probably just adding more G4-only features. Technology marches on. Live with it. Do you want OS X to support your Mac SE too right away?

wouldn't it be cool to run OS X on my Colour Classic, though? System 7.1 is a bit long in the tooth. ;)

Its about time. G4s are getting dated, and if they are going to better integrate an OS and a processor, why not get one that works the best. Even if it means sacrificing older machines.

If people complain, jaguar is still better then pretty much any other OS out there.

For gawd's sake!

If the whole G3 support thing is the same as the QuartzExtreme, woul dit make you iBook and older iMac owners happier if they just didn't make the optimizations? I mean, c'mon, I'm sure Apple WOULD make the same optimizations on the G3, EXCEPT that the G3 doesn't have the AltiVec code to play with, so the optimizations actually aren't POSSIBLE on a G3!

Back