Mac os x 10.4.11 FREEZES a LOT

ShootinStars

Registered
I have a mac os x 10.4.11 ibook g4 and it freezes all the time!!! usually within 5-15 min of turning on my laptop it freezes up, just the screen normally i can still move the mouse...but sometimes the mouse freezes too....i've tried disk repairs and downloading the combo update pack and nothing seems to be helping at all....it works pretty well if i dont use it for a day or so, lasts at least half hour before freezing then....i havent got any of the install disks as the laptop was given to me by a friend.....any HELP please???????? this has been going on for several months now....

I have a mac os x 10.4.11 ibook g4 and it freezes all the time!!! usually within 5-15 min of turning on my laptop it freezes up, just the screen normally i can still move the mouse...but sometimes the mouse freezes too....then i have to force shut it down with the power button....i've tried disk repairs and downloading the combo update pack and nothing seems to be helping at all....it works pretty well if i dont use it for a day or so, lasts at least half hour before freezing then....i havent got any of the install disks as the laptop was given to me by a friend.....any HELP please???????? this has been going on for several months now....

It seems you have the classic iBook fault where the CPU solder is weak and after a certain time becomes not quite in contact with the Logic Board. Not a lot you can do to test it and if you had discs to re-install you may never get enough time to re-load another OS. Maybe buy some 2nd hand discs off eBay and try to re-load the OS. You may want to try and add a weight to the bottom left corner of the iBook, keep it there and switch it on and see if it lasts much longer than the normal freeze time. This will put some pressure on the CPU and allow it to run longer... but this is only a test to see if it is this problem.

Back