Mac OS X 10.4.11 & Sony HDR-SR11

jdbrown

Registered
HELP!!! I'm needing to buy a new camcorder right away! I have a Mac OS X 10.4.11. I would like to buy a Sony HDR-SR11 and need to know if I will be able to simply connect the camcorder to my Mac and download the videos for editing and copying to dvd. I have researched this camcorder extensively online, but have not found an answer involving specifically the Mac OS X 10.4.11 and the Sony HDR-SR11. I have iMovie HD (6.0.3), so I also need to know if this is the application needed. Some of the forums I have visited say that Macs work with this camcorder, and some don't. This camcorder is on the Apple List of Compatible Camcorders, but compatible to me is you just hook it up, follow the prompts, and it's done. I'm not very computer savvy, and any little glitch means I spend days trying to get help to figure it out. One forum said the camcorder would work with a mac, but that you must connect via Firewire. However, this camera evidently does not have a Firewire port. Can a USB cable be used? I just need to know if I can use the Sony HDR-SR11 on my Mac OS X 10.4.11, and, if so, how do I do it? If i can't use this Sony, what camcorder can I use.

Can you provide links to the fora that say that it works, as well as links to the ones that say that it doesn't work? It'd be interesting to see what exactly they're saying about working vs. not working for ourselves.

If Apple lists it on their "supported cameras" page, then is a good bet that the camera works with iMovie and OS X in general.

Back