Mac OS X 10.4.3 in Software Update

8F46 is the final build number. The interesting thing I went to the apple store in denver and they were ahead and had 10.4.3 installed on all the macs in the store. This was yesterday.

Strange, my Software update still says:

Software Update doesn’t have any new software for your computer at this time.

add to iphoto from a slideshow STILL doesnt work!! whats with that?!

lots and lots of permissions corrected after installation - and a bit of a heart stopping re-start because it just took so long!

dashboard feels a bit 'zingier' - feels like the timing for the DB to appear is much faster. some of the widgets i have that werent refreshing properly are working as normal now.

expose 'show all windows' is a great deal smoother for me than it was - especially with a background task running.

I keep getting an error that says the update can't be installed on my machine. I'm running 10.4.2, nothing fancy or pirated. I'm going to download the combo and see if that helps.

UPDATE: Tried the combo and it just keeps saying "Please try installing again." Any ideas why this might be happening? Thanks.

UPDATE: Repaired permissions with Cocktail and the update works fine now. Lesson learned.

Is Quartz 2D Extreme on by default YET?

I've been waiting for that as my cue to upgrade from Panther (as a compelling reason). No luck I bet?

From Apple's page about the update:

Disables Quartz 2D Extreme—Quartz 2D Extreme is not a supported feature in Tiger, and re-enabling it may lead to video redraw issues or kernel panics.

Not having a computer new enough for any of these new graphic whatnots, I don't pay attention to such things. But reading through the list of changes I noticed this.

Clearly, Apple never wanted end-users to use that feature before it was ready...

Wow.. server is 121 MB.. how big was the client update again? .. How do I think the 56k modem users are not going to love it? :)

It's quite humorous apple put this update on holloween!!!!!! hahaha the ghost of classic will crash unix!! hahaha okay that wasn't supposed to be funny ;-)

nietzsche2131: "ghost of classic"? If you mean the Q2DE thingie, that has nothing to do with Classic...

i find it strange that Q2DE was hailed as a new underlying feature of tiger, then it wasn't turned on in 10.4.0, and now they are saying it's not going to be in Tiger at all.

Back