Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger to sport updated Finder, .Mac integration

Salvo

Registered
Good Set of Rumours on Apple Insider.
The two issues I have are any suggestion of WebKit in Finder. The Finder is for Finding and Managing Files. Not for Web browsing.
The other is the increasing reliance on .Mac. If the profitability of .Mac is failing due to lack-of-interest, it's not going to get any better by Forcing Mac Users to be .Mac users too.

What if a Mac only exists on a closed Corporate Intranet. Can Software Update operate through a Proxy, controlled by the SysAdmin? Can the Services provided by .Mac be Facsimiled using Privately Operated Servers? Why should every Macintosh user also be a .Mac User?

That's most excellent. The webkit will likely have something along the lines of the Google searchbar or a News Reader offering (Sherlock redux?).
As far as the redoing of .Mac, that's wonderful. Especially the speeding up of iDisk.

As for your questions, it's much to early to be wondering about them. And where do you have information that .Mac is failing due to lack of interest? Number?

Nowhere did it say you have to purchase .Mac. It sounds like it'll be iLife '04. You don't need iLife to have a wonderful Mac experience but you have an enhanced one by spending a little more money.
You won't need .Mac. Heck, you won't need Tiger. But for those of use who use .Mac, it'll be more value for our extra money spent as Apple continues to refine the computing experience with everyday life.

Now, we just need a release date. The article did mention an end-of-year release. Could Tiger be out along with a G5 iMac and 3Ghz PowerMacs? That would be a Christmas to truly remember. Must start counting pennies now...

I would have thought a lot more rumors would be flying about Tiger. Like what ever happened to those old voice-activation rumors?

I use .Mac minimally, but when I do, it's really irritating how slow iDisk is. Glad to see that fixed.

I hope they only ad 3D when and if it makes sense an not just some lame attempt to draw attention from other spec OSes that are showing off semi-pointless 3D widgets.

Salvo said:
What if a Mac only exists on a closed Corporate Intranet. Can Software Update operate through a Proxy, controlled by the SysAdmin? Can the Services provided by .Mac be Facsimiled using Privately Operated Servers?

I have this problem right now. The corporate Proxy server is a MS Proxy 2 and I can't use and web services on my Mac because MacOS X does not support NTLM. The only web browser that I use is Mozilla 1.6. I can't use Software Update, iDisk, iCal, iChat, any software that requires activation or updating.

I hope that Tiger supports NTLM, I have asked Apple enough times...

cockneygeezer said:
I have this problem right now. The corporate Proxy server is a MS Proxy 2 and I can't use and web services on my Mac because MacOS X does not support NTLM. The only web browser that I use is Mozilla 1.6. I can't use Software Update, iDisk, iCal, iChat, any software that requires activation or updating
That's why I dislike .Mac being Integrated with MacOS X.
It's similar to how Microsoft have bundled Passport as an integral part of Windows. Many Windows Features can be accessed without having access to the passport server.
If you want to use iCal within your Corporate Network, you could implement something like the iCal Exchange. I believe that their solution will work on PHP3 and an SQL server. Likewise, an iDisk can be simulated using WebDav, which could be installed at the same time as iCalx. Unfortunately, since your coportate Intranet uses MS Proxy, I presume that there aren't many Apache servers floating 'round which you can install mod_php3, mod_webdav or mod_auth_digest on :(

Back