Mac OS X and [officially supported] older hardware

doemel

Mac addict since 1993
I'd love to see all the 'older' hardware fully supported under MacOS X as actually promised to us by Apple. I own a Wallstreet Powerbook an there's a couple of things that I am not particularly happy about:
  • 1. SCSI support is very poor. It can't be that hard to offer better SCSI support. I suspect Apple just doesn't care too much and prefers to sell new hardware.
  • 2. Graphic performance is ridiculous due to lack of OS X graphics drivers for old ATi cards. I wouldn't mind if I had a Desktop/Tower, but you can't upgrade video on a Powerbook.
  • 3. My PB built-in modem doesn't work under OS X while it works perfectly well under OS 9. What's the problem? Analog modems are not sophisticated super-high-tech devices so why do some of us have problems using theirs under OS X?

So, please do something about it, Apple! Macs are known to have a long average lifetime compared to Wintel machines and that's the way things should remain that way!

Thanks for reading and have a good say.
D.

My 30Gig external USB hard drive worked and still works under 9, but not under osx. The company who makes it, Redialogic was bought out by YOU!!!! It wasn't easy for me to find out because the terms of agreement said that nobody was supposed to tell but I did find out and I want you to add support for my hardware. I do plan on upgradding my 266 imac sometime but I have all my 3d rendering stuff on there and it is important that I can keep using it on whatever USB equipped computer I use.

If anyone reads this and wants to tell me the reason there is no driver for it, email me at koelling@mac.com

Back