Mac OS X and Windows Shares

Maccin

Registered
Our network is upgrading our servers from afp/appletalk to Windows computers. I know OS X computers can connect to windows shares without a problem and transfer files but I'm hesitant to make this move. I have three questions:
1) SMB does not allow certain characters in file names that macs do allow. I'm worried this could be a problem if one of our clients has a lot of files with names SMB does not like (like a space before the file name begins). Is there a list anywhere that tells us what we can't put in file names, how long the files can be on the smb shared volumes, etc.......
2) If any of you are using SMB to communicate with your network storage what are you experiences? Would you recommend this? I would prefer afp but if smb works well for most people.....
3) Is running applications via SMB feasible?

Maccin said:
1) SMB does not allow certain characters in file names that macs do allow. I'm worried this could be a problem if one of our clients has a lot of files with names SMB does not like (like a space before the file name begins). Is there a list anywhere that tells us what we can't put in file names, how long the files can be on the smb shared volumes, etc.......
Apple's BIGGEST mistake. I used to love our network. Now you have to HOPE that the files in that folder you're copying are proper length and syntax. We keep one Mac on OS9 just for copying files to the network!!

And then trying copying fonts...HA...you can't copy fonts to the network and then expect to use em.

Maccin said:
3) Is running applications via SMB feasible?
Haven't even tried it, but really doubtful.

Good Luck
Rick

Back