Mac OS X, FireWire startup disk... trouble!

mstanchek

Registered
I have a PowerBook G3 (FireWire) and an external FireWire hard drive. I have Mac OS X 10.1 installed on the internal hard drive and I'd like to have 9.2.1 on my FW drive, but Mac OS X refuses to recognize it as a Classic drive. It won't even acknowledge the fact that I chose the FW drive to be the startup disk! I choose my FW disk to be the startup disk... no soup for me!

Has anybody had a similar problem??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Well i personally don't use osx from my firewire drive, that's strictly where i keep old versions of 9 in case i ever need them to beat a bug. But I remeber reading somewhere that osx.1 must be on the first part of the external drive. Otherwise your machine won't find it. I can't remember if it was on the first x number of gigs or on a certain percentage of the drive, but there were specific instructions for being able to make sure you were loading it correctly. Unless you put it on a relatively new, clean drive then you probably aren't in the corect search range. Try looking at apple's support groups or apple's installation info on the site. I probably saw it on one of these two places. might even have been on the intallation read me.

Hi there, i have a new ibook (600mghz dual usb) and it has 20 gb hdd, and i also have a 20 gb flex-hdd external fw/usb hdd (sarotech?) and i have latest build of osx (5m28) and have had no problems before these last few weeks or so with it, but now when i try and boot up in osx, the ibook wont recognise my FW hd, why is this? It says-
a disk attempting to mount as Unknown has failed verification or has failed to mount. Please use Disk Utility to check the disk and correct any errors, which i do and it says-
(after launching disk utility) selecting 'first aid' and then 'verify' it says-
Verifying disk "BACK UP".
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Invalid sibling link
The volume BACK UP needs to be repaired.
Verify completed.

then i 'repair' and it says-
Repairing disk "BACK UP".
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Invalid sibling link
Repair completed.
It doesnt seem to boot usin usb cable, makes weird noise.. heh
and this problem happened a couple of times recently since updatin OS and stuff but now wont seem to boot at all, any ideas? Seems to still be there...

...somewhere?

Strange, I used to boot Classic from a FW drive with no problem. Have to check tho' if it's a prob with 9.2.1. I'll be back with more...

Back