Mac OS X Fontsmoothing looking better on CRTs?

Chibi15

Official ai tenshi
I think that smoothed type under Mac OS X looks better on my CRT than it looks on my iBook Screen - it seems that the Type seems more smoothly on the CRT and to crisped and - in my opinion - errorneos on the iBook LCD - is there something i could do about this?

Does it also look so worse on the G4 iMac Display?

It really looks more more better on the CRT :(

I mean Quartz antialiased text - QUickdraw looks good

Also text antialiased in Photoshop looks horrible on the iBook Screen - please say that this is better on the iMac LCD :(

Well, I havn't seen the iBook screen yet (hopefully, I'll get mine soon :D), but on my iMac, the antialiased text is only reasonable. I am going to compare it with a crt once I get my VGA adapter cable. The thing is, the LCD pixels are VERY different to CRT pixels, and so are crisper, which will ruin the effect of the text.

But it's definately reasonable, and when viewed for a reasonable distance (so not nose-to-the-screen) it looks ok.

Originally posted by Hypernate
...and when viewed for a reasonable distance (so not nose-to-the-screen) it looks ok.

I think that’s my problem - but the screen is so small :D

Hmm, yeah. But on the iMac you can get far enough away and still see everything. At the moment, I'm about 45-55 cm away from the screen. I know with a 12.1inch screen I (will) have to look a lot closer :p

Is it worth disabling the font smoothing, or at least increasing the minimum point size before smoothing?

Back