Mac OS X for AMD/Intel

Originally posted by jdog

Paying higher prices for Macs does not mean you are getting high quality parts, it means you are paying for all the R&D that went into designing that product.

You're also paying for all the money Apple is sinking into basic research and things like Mac OS X. (I hope no one thinks apple is making a profit on OS X at $129.) The real costs of devloping a software project of this scope are much higher. Microsoft can fund its OS development by means of their OEM OS protection racket... er OEM license deals and the massive revenue generator known as Office. Apple doesn't have these powerful cash cows working for it, therefore they have to be far more careful lest they cook the golden goose that pays for all this nice stuff we use (i.e. their higher-than-peecee-standard-margins hardware sales)

A note on Dell:

In my office we use Dells exclusively. I can attest with out any predjudice that they are the biggest pieces of crap I have ever seen in the computer industry.

At my previous job, they used Compaqs exclusively. I always though that Compaqs were junk, but after using their latest machines, and seeing Dells, I can tell you, Dells SUCK.

They break down ALL the time. We have over 400 machines at our location, and our IT Dept. is having to replace at least one machine EVERY WEEK due to device failure. When I asked one of the IT people if this was common, he told me "No, but Dell has such competitive volume pricing, even with the failures, Corporate feels they are gettting the best deal possible..."

Amazing, huh?

If I'm paying for a PC (which I unfortunately have), I'm getting it from a corner PC vendor. I'm not paying for Dells premium of slapping the same components together. The average 12 year old can put all the components together just as well as the guy on the assembly line at Dell.

As for Apple, the premium you are paying for is the R&D of Apple only features like OS X, QuickTime, all the bundled apps (iMove, iTunes, iDVD), AppleScript, etc.

i think Apple should worry about getting Mac os X to run properly on a mac before they start to even dream about AMD/Intel.

I got good enough weed for me. :) I've had many a PC notebook myself and I've seen current models of Dell, IBM and Sony that friends of mine own. They're almost as expensive as the TiBook I've bought. Some were more expensive.

I've also seen and used low-priced models of unknown brands.

Why do I pay more to get the TiBook when it 'only runs at 500 MHz'?

Well: The machine is designed. This not only means that it looks sleeker than other products, design is also about actually using the thing. It has the perfect screen for example. The Dell's 1600*1xxx (I don't know what exactly) is high resolution - no doubt. But it's not as useful to a graphics designer like me.

Apple designs computers for design professionals, while noname-pc-breeds pick parts that come cheap and sell well.

I choose Apple because the whole environment fits me: Hardware, operating system, third party application software available, the philosophy behind the whole system (learn fast & easy, get productive immediately) etc.

As I said before: If an AMD box fits you well, buy one. If you want Apple, pay for it. *OF COURSE* people always want the good stuff as cheap as possible.

But let's stay with the weed you mentioned: You might be able to get cheap weed from somewhere. But it won't be worth smoking it. :)

Btw.: I am a smoker, but I quit the grass some years ago.

Originally posted by jdog
Fryke: there is no "real work" that you can't do on a PC.

I give you an example. I write short stories. (http://story.ch). When I have an idea in mind, I start (for example) with OmniGraffle. I lay out the plot. Then I start writing in TextEdit or BBEdit.

The most important thing about my TiBook and Mac OS 10.1 is that I enjoy working in it. I don't mind if some of you can work on other OSs, but as I tend to work faster and better on a Mac, I stay with it.

Most Windows people I know of don't work efficiently, unless they're office-gums. And I'm no office-gum, so I can't compare myself to them.

Newflash: Dell does not produce the products in their PCs, they just put the parts together. If you buy 2000 of ANY computer, whether its an Apple, Compaq, Dell, Sun, whatever, you will have problems. Thats just the nature of the electronic beast.

I don't think that porting OSX to i386 will help Apple at all, but I think that Apple could greatly improve business by being a little more competitive with their pricing.

yes, marmoset has an excellent point. MS is charging an outrageous amount for XP. Apple can charge less, for the OS and make up the difference with hardware costs. I guess its not so bad to pay a little more for your hardware if you want to support a good operating system. I know that I would have never bought my Powerbook had Apple kept with the POS called OS9.

-jdog

Back