Mac OS X has gone GOLD

Hobeaux

Registered
CUPERTINO, Calif., Mar 7, 2001 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Apple(AAPL) today announced that Mac(R) OS X, the next generation Macintosh(R) operating system, is complete and the "gold master" has been released to manufacturing for production. Mac OS X will ship on March 24, 2001, for a suggested retail price of $129 (US). Mac OS X is the world's most advanced operating system, combining the power and openness of UNIX with the legendary ease of use and broad applications base of Macintosh.

Read it on iWon:
http://money.iwon.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_ge.jsp?news_id=cmt-066p8298&feed=cmt&date=20010307

i just installed the gm version today. very nice. there are a couple of quirks but mostly it's great. definitely faster than the beta and previous builds. airport mostly works. quicktime 5 looks good. no itunes, no imovie, no music player. the system wide spell checker is still there but now uses a dotted line for showing mistakes. the dock is even better than before, many control strip functions included now. the apple menu is also useful with options for shutdown, restart, force quit, get os x software, and other general system functions.

I have it installed on my powerbook g4 and it works almost perfectly. no recognition of the brightness keys though. the volume keys are better though, no annoying alert beep when changing the settings.

it works faster on my g4 desktop. I also installed it on top of the beta without any trouble.

Will post more later.

PS. I don't have any copies for distribution. Check Carracho, or wait for the official release on 24 Mar.

big snag. The developer's tools were not preinstalled. I hoped they would be, but I can see that the system is much more secure without them. If you want to use them you should probably know how to get them.

Back