MAC OS X hw changes help needed

mitja

Registered
Hi all,
I have a "little" problem with a iBook G4 12" internal optical drive. Some month ago I changed the original combo drive with a SD (Panasonic 875).
Now the owner of the iBook tell's me that the drive does not work. I opened the iBook and find another drive (Apple 845). The persot told me that no one changed the drive, but the evidence is that the drive inside the iBook is not the one I mounted.

Is there a log file somewhere in the system that see the hw changes or something similar that I can tell for sure that the drive inside the iBook is not the one I mounted??

TIA
Mitja

Is there a log file somewhere in the system that see the hw changes or something similar that I can tell for sure that the drive inside the iBook is not the one I mounted??

Not really. Are you a business? What we usually do for out of warranty parts is record the serial# off of the new equipment and even put the serial# with the customer paperwork. That way if there is any doubt, its on the customer copy and our copies. We just pull up the customers previous paperwork and compare the serial# to the one that's in the machine. Lesson learned for you!

I know that it's my faut, but this was a "friendship" relation and I don't know what to think. I will change the drive one more time and from now on I will pay a particular attention to things like this.
Anyway there is a log file, not a hw related one, but in ~/Library/Logs/DiscRecording.log you can see some cd/dvd drive activity if it was used with the finder mastering program.

Back