Mac OS X in Linux Lan or Windows Lan

Zammy-Sam

Desertchild
Hi guys,

I was an WinXP user who moved to Mac OS X! I don't regret this, but I can't hide my problems I have concerning compatibilities.

Well, I have a very nice WinXP Prof. Lan at home and Since Mac OS X is just working on Apple Hardware, I gonna keep it that way.
The point is, that I tried to make my other comps become visible on this finder: local hosts, but I didn't succeed yet. Ping is working fine and the tunneling for the internetconnection also!
I just miss my fileserver with 45GB of mp3s! :)

I heard of dave, but after I installed it, nothing seemed to change! Should I install dave on the WinXP-server as well?

Since I have the ibook II G3 600 with 256MB Ram, DVD-CDRW-Combo and 20GB Ram, I am able to move to work as well.

When I am on work, there is a huge Linux Lan. Well, the same problem: I can't see any host. Telnet is working, but I want some more...

I hope someone can help me out!
Thanks a lot!

Btw: just a side question. Why isn't the command "make" working in this terminal of MacOSX? How would I be able to install anything, if there is no "on-click-installation"?

Sam

Originally posted by Zammy-Sam
Well, I have a very nice WinXP Prof. Lan at home and Since Mac OS X is just working on Apple Hardware, I gonna keep it that way.
The point is, that I tried to make my other comps become visible on this finder: local hosts, but I didn't succeed yet. Ping is working fine and the tunneling for the internetconnection also!
I just miss my fileserver with 45GB of mp3s! :)

They don't currently show up in the Network window. You have to click on 'Go>Connect to Server' and type in:

smb://domain_or_workgroup_name;computer_name/share_name

or

smb://domain_or_workgroup_name;user_name@computer_name/share_name

So to connect to the XP box I use at work I type:

smb://gatchaman;lewis@center-neptune/c$

to mount the hidden share to the C drive. It will then show up in the Finder (and on the desktop if you have it set to show network volumes)

Btw: just a side question. Why isn't the command "make" working in this terminal of MacOSX? How would I be able to install anything, if there is no "on-click-installation"?

You need to install the Developer Tools to get these commands.

If you still can't get it working, you could also use PC MacLan. It needs to be installed on the PC, and will allow the PC to act as a file server on an appletalk network (it also has several other networking features).

Supposedly, when you have "DAVE" installed on Mac OS X, you should be able to do this...

From the "Finder"'s "Go" menu, choose "Connect to server..."
Click on the "DAVE Network" icon...
double click the server you want.

Forget Dave! Used it for a while until I discovered it was the source of all evil on my machine. Runs very buggy under classic mode and in OS 9.x. Don't want to even touch the OSX version. They are out of business anyway since there are so manu workarounds.

I have my OSX machine running on a WIN network by having one of the WIN servers running Macintosh Services. Works like a charm.

G

I heard about this Mac-Tool for WinNT, but since it's just available for WinNT Server and not WinXP, it's not really something for my case!

And Thanks GFive! It's working really fine this way! Ok, a bit unpractical sometimes, but at least working!

And I didn't discover any instabilities yet! Just one thing: When I have mp3 files on my WinXP disk, I can't just mark them and move them to itunes! It's just taking three or even less even when I marked about 200!

And it's not about those mp3 files. Just checked. iTunes can play each of them!
So, any ideas what's the matter with this?

PS.: MacLan isn't a freeware, right?

Back