Mac OS X install problem

Paul Forbes

Registered
Hi all, has anyone had problems installing Mac OS X 10.2 on the old grey G4's? I'm trying to install it but it either did "Reading packages" for ages or I get the rotating start symbol on the grey Apple background. Thanks.
- Paul

How long does it hang on that screen? Sometimes it will hang for a while, if you are taking minutes, then something is wrong. I used a laser lens cleaner and that cleared up my problems.

Thanks Urbansory, I'll try that. It's definately not my install CD because I've got 3 of them! I also heard on another forum that there are problems with some memory DIMMS that hinder Jaguar installs. Has anyone heard of that problem? Ta.
- Paul

I was trying to install 10.2 on a B&W G3 400 at work. Everytime that I tried to install, the install would hang at the end, just as the text would say "under one minute". Really annoying. I tried installing about 8 times and it would hang every time.

At first, I thought it was because the HD was SCSI and that the Adaptec card was giving issues, so I removed it and replaced with with a new IDE drive. No joy.

I decided to replace the graphics card (this seemed to work on one computer in the past with 10.1). No joy.

I then checked out the RAM. It was Samsung. I promptly ordered new RAM from crucial. This fixed the problem. 10.2 seems very (maybe overly) picky about the RAM it will use.

Now, the first thing I do with any Mac I need to work on, is check the RAM.

Thanks Bobw and Podmate. I took the extra (non Apple) ram out of my G4 and the install went fine! Then I put the non Apple ram back in and it still worked, so I will also check the ram next time I do a OS 10 upgrade (which is going to be quite soon because I have a whole company to upgrade!)
- Paul

Paul - you might want to test the machine with the "bad" RAM in it for a while (under load if possible).
I tried putting the "bad" RAM back into the comp. after I installed 10.2 and got random crazyness and enough lockups to make me mad.
Ever since I removed the "bad" RAM the comp has been rock stable.
I put the RAM in one of my companies PeeCee's and its running fine (Linux of course).

If your machines have firewire I would recommend Carbon Copy Cloner and Net Restore to image your systems. Make one base image and clone it to all systems. I did 64 machines in 1 day this way.

Thanks for your advice sixthring. Not all our Macs have Firewire but most do. I've got CCC; not used it yet but will!
- Paul

Back