Mac OS X - Jaguar problem

Ubernerd

Registered
Recently, I noticed that under the system preferences that I am now missing my "Internet" icon. I recall having access to this in the past. This is the icon under the heading Internet & Network which should lead me to where I can make adjustments to my .Mac account. The only icons under Internet & Network are Network, Quicktime and Sharing. I will need to access this area if I expect the iSync to work with my address book and the .mac account.

I would have used the help section in the .mac account by now, exepct that I have the limited free version of the account, so no help is available. I have re-installed the OS on my eMac to no effect.

Any advice?

Ubernerd said:
Recently, I noticed that under the system preferences that I am now missing my "Internet" icon. I recall having access to this in the past. This is the icon under the heading Internet & Network which should lead me to where I can make adjustments to my .Mac account. The only icons under Internet & Network are Network, Quicktime and Sharing. I will need to access this area if I expect the iSync to work with my address book and the .mac account.

I would have used the help section in the .mac account by now, exepct that I have the limited free version of the account, so no help is available. I have re-installed the OS on my eMac to no effect.

Any advice?

In panther, settings for defualt web browser was moved into the browsers prefrences, instead of it's orginal spot... have you tried looking in the iSync settings?

Welcome Ubernerd!

I've had a similar problem before, and it was directly related to me fooling around with a piece of software that monkeyed around with the system.

In my case, I lost my Accounts icon.

Have you installed anything that patches the system?..

Ubernerd said:
Recently, I noticed that under the system preferences that I am now missing my "Internet" icon.

Trash the file ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.preferencepanes.cache then restart System Preferences.

dagaz said:
Trash the file ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.preferencepanes.cache then restart System Preferences.

Hmn. I don't seem to have anything quite like that in my Cashes directory. Should I trash the other files in there?

octane said:
Welcome Ubernerd!

I've had a similar problem before, and it was directly related to me fooling around with a piece of software that monkeyed around with the system.

In my case, I lost my Accounts icon.

Have you installed anything that patches the system?..

I've downloaded and installed all that Apple will let me. I'm at 10.2.8 right now.

I meant something other than Apple software.

I'm guessing you haven't.

You might want to try moving the ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist to the desktop and re-launching System Preferences and see if that changes anything...

dagaz said:

The ~ signifies that its the library at the user level, not the root level, i.e. go to Home > Library > Caches and you should see the mentioned file.

dagaz said:
The ~ signifies that its the library at the user level, not the root level, i.e. go to Home > Library > Caches and you should see the mentioned file.

Oh, wow. How embarasing. It works now. Thanks!

Back