Mac OS X Minor Release Info

bewshy

r00t boy
I just met this guy and girl who are both sales reps for Apple. They both confirmed that its gonna be US$20 and not avail. via retail. Only the full version will be via retail. Gonna have to download the update.

ericb

I can tell you right now that you wont be able to download it, at least apple wont provide the bandwidth. The current builds I have seen are at least 500Mb in size

Admiral

... a good point in case was the Quark 5 beta release several days ago. Couldn't get on web site for 2 days 'cause of demand -- and all for a small 35mb file!

So, I doubt Apple are gonna make a 500mb download available (except perhaps in small sections, as has been done in the past).

I really don't fancy waiting for Mr Posty to deliver ;)

500 megs? forget it, it'll never happen. no offense to anyone, but it seems like they barely have enough bandwidth to support their web server! usually when i go there, its not all that fast (and i have an 80k/sec dsl line), so like i said, forget it, they'l never (/cant) support that kind of bandwidth. So either wait till it hits the Charraco (/hotline) servers or ol' mister posty 'll have to make a visit (unless your desperate enough to actually drive to the fn place and pick it up)

Originally posted by Abakadoosh
500 megs? forget it, it'll never happen. no offense to anyone, but it seems like they barely have enough bandwidth to support their web server! usually when i go there, its not all that fast (and i have an 80k/sec dsl line), so like i said, forget it, they'l never (/cant) support that kind of bandwidth. So either wait till it hits the Charraco (/hotline) servers or ol' mister posty 'll have to make a visit (unless your desperate enough to actually drive to the fn place and pick it up)

I agree that they will most likely not allow it to be d/led from the site but I disagree with the "slow server" claim. I am on a cable connection and have never seen speeds under 300k/s from Apple.

Originally posted by swizcore

...have never seen speeds under 300k/s from Apple.

really?? wow. never really seems to take my full bandwidth... damn. now i really really REALLY want cable, instead before when it was just really really really. well, thanks for the info, will try and persuade (for the second time) my dad into getting cable. ;)

Originally posted by Abakadoosh

really?? wow. never really seems to take my full bandwidth... damn. now i really really REALLY want cable, instead before when it was just really really really. well, thanks for the info, will try and persuade (for the second time) my dad into getting cable. ;)

yeah, I know how you feel. I had SDSL while in college and it was pretty disappointing to hear my friends speak of their great cable speeds compared to my DSL speeds. Cable has definitely been better than my DSL encounter.

Back