Mac OS X Not Starting Up Properly

nijah

Registered
When I start my computer, a small box with a blue globe inside comes on and blinks for about 7 minutes. Then a tiny folder with a question mark, and the finder icon inside comes on blinks for another 7 minutes. After that it begins to load normally. Why is it doing this, and how can I stop it from occuring?

You may have to select the startup disk in the preference system.
Lanch Preference System, get into "Startup" then select your startup disk. It should work now.

Your problem is that your mac try to boot on a server and it can't find it.

You may have to select the startup disk in the preference system.
Lanch Preference System, get into "Startup" then select your startup disk. It should work now.

Your problem is that your mac try to boot on a server and it can't find it.

Good idea... but if he can't boot, how can he select a different startup disk from Preferences?

First try the system repair disk. Second, hold down the option button during boot and you'll be able to select your startup disk. If you can't select your disk for one reason or another, disconnect all peripherals and try to boot as normal, if no, connect keyboard and try to hold down option again. If disconnecting everything doesn't work, I would probably zap the PRAM/NVRAM whatever your system has. If that doesn't work, replace your battery. If that still doesn't work, call Apple.

Good idea... but if he can't boot, how can he select a different startup disk from Preferences?

First try the system repair disk. Second, hold down the option button during boot and you'll be able to select your startup disk. If you can't select your disk for one reason or another, disconnect all peripherals and try to boot as normal, if no, connect keyboard and try to hold down option again. If disconnecting everything doesn't work, I would probably zap the PRAM/NVRAM whatever your system has. If that doesn't work, replace your battery. If that still doesn't work, call Apple.

Reread the original post. The original poster never said that he couldn't boot. He only said that after a total of 14 minutes, it would finally boot in. Once it goes in, he can change the startup settings in the location that nono95 mentioned.

but who wants to wait 7 minutes. pop in the live cd from Apple (repair disk) and hold down the C button when you boot. Run diags and hope for the best. If bad comes to worse, run archive and install from system install disc. You'll be back up and running with all your info and quite a bit of your prefs still intact. All of these are valid ideas and great paths to take.

Back