Mac OS X on intel PCs?

I'm going about it slowly doing lots of research because the pc I will be installing it on is my workhorse ;)

What method did you use, are you dual booting? And what are the full specs of the machine?

There is patches for SSE 2 processors to make it more stable and to run Rosetta too on SSE 2 processors. http://osxonpc.com/. It's still interesting how much progress hackers are making. Apple so far hasn't gone after the wiki on x86 on pc's. This seems odd but then again we just have to see what happens in the next couple of weeks with this...

What about OS X on AMD via the hacking community?

Is there something specific about the Intel version of OS X that excludes AMD from being able to run it?

mindbend said:
What about OS X on AMD via the hacking community?

Is there something specific about the Intel version of OS X that excludes AMD from being able to run it?

Actually, yes, there is. The development releases of the the OS require Intel TPM chips, and SSE3 support. Obviously Intel's not going to license their TPM system to AMD chipset builders, and SSE3 support is not in most AMD chips (though it's not in most Intel chips either).

However, is that hobbyists HAVE gotten OSX86 to run on AMD systems (by removing the TPM and SSE3 requirements). And quite well, too.

But isn't it so that Rosetta, at least, is not supported on machines without SSE2/3?

fryke said:
But isn't it so that Rosetta, at least, is not supported on machines without SSE2/3?

Rosetta (and apparently some apps) will not run without the SSE3 instructions. However, I see that some hobbyists have found ways to map the SSE3 instructions onto others (mostly SSE2) - so Rosetta et al run, albeit at a somewhat reduced rate.

It's unclear whether OS X will continue to have this requirement, but assuming that Apple only plans to target OS X for current and future Intel processors (which pretty much all now support SSE3), then there's not much reason not to use it.

However, should they decide to open OS X to a larger community, say, a year after selling x86-based machines, it doesn't look like it would require much work to eliminate the requirement =)

Back