Mac OS X Questions

Ka-Tu

Registered
*** Note, this thread is also posted under the General Discussion as I wasn't sure which to post it under, sorry.

First off, here are my system specs:
- Biege 266 Mhz G3 (Upgraded to 466 Mhz G3)
- 384 MB Ram
- Voodoo3 2000

My question is, will I be able to use the Voodoo3 2000 in Mac OS X? If not, at a later date possibly, if someone ports drivers for it? Also will it still work under Mac OS 9 (built into Mac OS X)?

Would I be better getting a ATI Raedon, because it will work with Mac OS X, and run faster? But I'm worried because my computer oringaly was a Beige 266 Mhz G3, the 33 Mhz PCI speed, and 66 Mhz Bus speed, will act as a serious bottlekneck, giving me little performance increase over my current Voodoo3 2000.

If anything has any info about this, or recomendations, I would be very grateful.

Thanks For Your Time,

- Ka-Tu [ka-tu@home.com]

You will not be able to use the Voodoo card under OS X until someone writes drivers for it.

Given that the manufacturer of the card is dead, I wouldn't hold my breath.

What about getting a ATI Radeon card, would it be not much faster than my current Voodoo3 because of the CPU Bus / PCI Bus speed?

- Ka-Tu

the radeon is good (and is probably better suited to the current Unreal-based games (Unreal Tournament, Rune, DS9: The Fallen) if you're into that sort of thing) and the GeForce 3 is looking really really cool and is optimized for future games such as Halo, Unreal 2, Unreal Warfare, etc.

I believe the Radeon card, even in PCI, will be a lot faster than what you have now.

Maximum PC magazine did a PCI/AGP performance comparison a couple of months back. I believe they were using PCI and AGP Radeon cards. They found only minimal performance differences: apparently most games simply don't push enough texture data to make the AGP advantage significant.

I'd say go for it. If you had the choice between PCI and AGP, that would be one thing, but you don't-- you have a choice between whatever really old ATI chip the original G3 used, and the Radeon, and that's not really a difficult choice!

Was the system them compared PCI to AGP a newer one? Since my computer is about 3 years old, im worried the slow 33 Mhz PCI bus (newer ones are 66mhz), and the 66 Mhz CPU bus will have a large decrease on the cards performance. Can anyone confirm / deny this?

Thanks.

Even my Sawtooh has a 33mhz PCI bus, the only difference is it's 64bit which no video card takes advantage of anyway.

But there has to be some difference in speed from a 33 Mhz PCI bus and a 66 Mhz, right? As long as the ATI Radeon isn't going to be signifcantly held back because of a 33 Mhz bus and a somewhat slow CPU bus, I'll get the card.

The ATI Radeon should work nicely with OS X right?

Back