Mac Os X Server 10.1.1 Update Not Installing

Cineplex

Registered
Hey Folks,

I am trying to install the Mac OS X Server 10.1.1 update on a G3 Server running 10.1 and it just will not go. On the installer the drives are grayed out. I've update the installer to like 1.1.4 and installed the security update (SecurityUpdate-2001-10-19.dmg.bin). But still nothing. Was the security update specific to the server OS? I don't remember it being specific. I thought those were the only two you needed. I remember this being an issue back when it first came out and I don't remember the solution. Since there is no more kbase, the internet is bare.

Does anyone remember?

Thanks!

-Nate

Hi Cheryl,

Thanks for the link. I need this particular OS for a particular Mac running very particular software for archival access.

That update is for Mac OS X and not Mac OS X Server. I ran it anyway and it installed (talk about poor installation checks)....but it did not change the version or build number to the correct version. Some of the consumer things updated...but nothing that is supposed to update for the server environment. It would be nice if there was a combo server update out there somewhere...but I couldn't find it. I need to be able to install WebObjects 5.1 as part of this and I can't install that unless I am on 10.1.1. Maybe there is a separate 10-19-2001 security update just for server?

What a mess. Thanks Apple for killing the update server and taking down all the relevant kbase articles!

Thanks for your help.

Looking closer....the updated I obtained are bogus. They have nothing to install. So I need to find a real update to 10.1.5 or even 10.1.1.

How can it be bogus? It was straight from Apple’s web site.

My fault -- I gave you the link to the OS not Server. So Sorry.

I did another search and the only download I found was for Server 10.3, but that doesn’t help you.

How can it be bogus? It was straight from Apple’s web site.

My fault -- I gave you the link to the OS not Server. So Sorry.

I did another search and the only download I found was for Server 10.3, but that doesn’t help you.

Hi Cheryl,

No worries. Thanks for trying. Isn't it great how messed up Apples new support site is?

The update I got from an info.apple.com mirror was bogus. The one you provided was fine...just not for server. I had found what I thought were individual updates on the mirror...but they didn't contain any files to install. So all they did was change the version and build number....nothing actually changed. One should have been a 100MB update and the package was only 800k....clearly not correct.

I don't know what is more frustrating about this....the fact that Apple took down all the server updates....or that they took down the server updates and left the regular 10.1 updates up. It makes no sense. Is a company that makes billions really struggling to keep a couple of FTP servers active with archives on it? The really funny part is that the WebObjects Deployment disc INCLUDED with Mac OS X Server 10.1.0 will not install because it requires 10.1.1. The box is made of magic....software from the future is inside. I had a second random sealed box of OS X Server 10.1.0 kicking around...opened it and found the same thing. Good grief!

Thanks again! I hope someone knows of some mirror and site hosting these things.

Keep in mind that the update you are looking for is from about 2001. The assumption is that users had already updated their system if they are still using the ‘very old - 15 years’ version. You are probably one of the few that are still running that version. And keep in mind there is a point when some things need to be pulled to make room for the new. Apple’s servers would be choke full if they kept all versions available to the public. I did find 10.2 and 10.3 server updates on Apple’s site.

You might need to open your search to purchasing the software which should be at a reasonable price since it is so old.
Here’s what I found on Amazon : https://www.amazon.com/Mac-Server-1...82070240&sr=1-2&keywords=Mac+OS+X+Server+10.1
It is worth checking out to see if that includes the updates.
They also have 10.2 listed if you are interested in upgrading a bit.

Then there is Old Apps http://www.oldapps.com/mac/

You’ll have to contact them to see if they have the server software.

Back