Mac OS X Server?

martinatkinson

Registered
Hello!

I am interested in starting my own website hosted on my PowerMac G4. I am wanting to get Mac OS X server. I know I can run it with regular Mac OS X but I am not Apache guru...

Problem is I only have one computer and can not afford to get another one just for my server. So what I am wondering is if I can install OS X server on my existing PowerMac and still run everyday software such as Photoshop, GoLive, Mail and just use it like regular OS X?

Is the only difference in OS X server is that it has GUI Apache control panels?

Thanks for your help!

Albert

Thats not the only differerance. Server is greared more for system adminsitration and will have alot more options in areas beyond just apache. As far as application compatiblity, you should be able to run anythign on server that you do on the client. The question is do you want to. I dont knwo how much traffic you are expecting, but it is very possible that it will interfear with your day to day use of your machine. Also, depending on your connectivity provider, it is possible they may frown on you using your connection to power a server. The better alternitive if you cant afford a proper server setup would be to find some reasonably priced webhosting and go that route. I can recommend linuxwebhost.com. They are cheap and relyable.

Hello!

Thanks for your reply. I suppose I should just wait until I can afford to get a G4 server right? That way, it comes with OS X server pre-installed and I can run my other computer as normal system.

Is there anything else (hardware or software) that I should look into getting when I purchase the G4 server?

Thanks again!

Albert

you just need to be sure that the connection you are using is going to handle the amount of traffic you are expecting. For instance, a standard consumer DSL line is not going to be relyable, or wide enough to support a moderately popular site.

Hello!

Yes, I am looking into a more powerful line. Which is the fastest line you can get? Also, is a T3 line faster or slower then a T1 line?

Of course, this is looking into the next year since they do not even have DSL in my area. But, if they do not have DSL would they still have the high speed "T" lines available in my area?

Thanks again for your help!

Albert

I'm pretty sure T1 would be the best, although it is not as fast as T3 it is probably cheaper, but that depends on how much you want to spend per month

A T1 is 1.54 Mbps, and a T3 (or sometimes, DS3) is 45 Mbps. Then there's the whole OC-1,2, etc thing...but as xaqintosh said, they aren't cheap.

A better choice may be to look for colocation for the server, that's a couple hundred a month at most places, and many tend to give you more than just one network drop.

This site is co-located, so he dosnt have to pay for a line. Actually, either virtual hosting, or co location are the two most popular, and most cost effective ways of getting a site on the web. For most uses, the websites contents are not going to be more than 30-40 meg max. Thus, buying a server that has a 30gig dirve in it just doesnt make sence. Also, its really going to be hard to justify the cost of a server and a hight speed line for the amount of traffic you are going to get from a new site. The best option is to start out with low cost webhosting. Then as the site grows, you can move in to better hosting environments, buy servers and move to a co-location scheam, and eventually, if necessary your own connection and servers and the whole 9 yards.

Hello!

WOW, testuser, I knew that those type of connections were expensive, I just did not know exactly how expensive. After looking at those figures I am pretty sure I will just do what zerorex suggested and wait until my site really gets loaded :)

By the way, could someone explain to me what is involved in colocation hosting? Thanks!

Thank you all for your help!

Albert

co-location basicly is where you pay for the server, and you pay someone for space in one of their server racks to host it. The provide power and the conneciton. Usually its like $300 and up per 1U of space. I dont know of any co-location places that will let you put a tower in, they all want rac gear. Thus to do colo with a mac, you would need to get one of the new xservers.

A webhost in our town does co-location... they use either Unix or Windows 2000 (your pick) and the rates aren't that bad, depending on how much you want to spend.

i'd give you a link, but their site is hard to navigate (well, to me at least...)

Hello!

This sounds alot like what is called "Dedicated Hosting"

With colocation do you have to supply your own rack or do you use one of theirs? If you have to supply your own then I guess it would be different then Dedicated since I think that with Dedicated they give you a whole server for your use...right?

Thanks again!

Albert

in dedicated hosting, they build themachine. In co-location, you provide the machine. Either way, they provide the racks

Back