Mac OS-X Tiger - List Folders Before Files in All Folder Views

purefusion

Registered
Hey guys, one thing I don't like about the mac is that it doesn't list folders together, but rather mixes them with files arranged by name. My favorite folder view is columns view, and so I can't sort by type. And I don't even like how sort by type puts folders in the middle of the stack anyway.

Is there any way that I can tell OS-X Tiger to sort my folder views by folder, than files, no matter what folder or view type I'm in? I'd prefer that this would carry over into my Dreamweaver file view as well, if possible.

Cheers! :)

Cocoa Tech makes a product called Pathfinder. It's a replacement for the relatively poor Finder. It will allow you to sort by folder, file, app, etc. Very nice. Coming from the windows world, I had the same gripe. But Pathfinder will help alleviate the issue.

If you don't want to pay for Pathfinder, try sorting your Finder windows by size - generally, the folders will be larger...

OR...
You can label your folders with one color, and files with another, and have your Finder order by Label. That way your higher label colors (0, 1, 2) will show up at the top of the list, and the rest will be below...

you bet.

In fact, there are apple scripts about, that will allow you to label all folders in one quick step, rather than a manual exercise that could take you some time to complete.

I'm not in front of my powerbook right now, so I can't remember what it's called. But google a bit, or ask around here and someone's bound to know where to point you.

Back