Mac OS X v. 10.1

owl_luvr

Registered
Assuming I have the $130 for OS X, v 10.1 (and the $12 s/h charge, according to MacConnection's website), is there any really good reason I should upgrade my system from 9.0.4 at this time (other than to help the recession economy)?

Thanks.

Originally posted by owl_luvr
...is there any really good reason I should upgrade my system from 9.0.4 at this time (other than to help the recession economy)?

How bout to make my shares of AAPL worth more? ;)

j/k

I was a somewhat early adoptor of OS X starting with the 10.0.1 version that came pre installed on my G4. Very little of what I did on my old machine can't be done on the new OS at this point, and most apps I use now have Carbon or Cocoa versions out at this point. The biggest win for me was when Intuit released Quicken 2002 for OS X. 2001 ran under classic, but it had a number of problems that made it annoying. Now it is fairly infrequently that I run a classic app or reboot to OS9. I have very few complaints about having made the transition, and I haven't turned my old computer (still on 8.6ish) in 3 months.

I received 10.1 in the mail yesterday, but haven't installed it, so I've got no first hand comment about that specific version yet, but from what I've heard from others my expectations are high.

For me, the main advantage of OS X is the stability and pre-emptive multitasking allowed by adopting a unix kernel. Crashes are really really rare, and if an application crashes, it almost always has no impact on other running applications or the operating system. I love the fact that a single application can't "take over" the system by not giving up the processor like can happen on early MacOS's.

FelineAvenger

There are about a million reasons!

If you just browse some of the threads on this site you will get a very good diverse interpretation of what people think about OS 10.1. Which is good cause you can hear complaints and praise alike and make the call for yourself.

I can tell you firsthand OS 10.1 is an entirely different animal from 9.x. It is _very_ stable. I have been with X since 10.0, thanks to my ADC membership! 10.1 is what Apple should have started with as the first official release of OS X. But Apples had already made promises on release dates so... In my opinion 10.0 and up to but not including 10.1 were expensive betas, 10.1 is the real deal. Especially if you have a DP machine, my Dual 533 runs amazing in 10.1, much faster then 9.x.

Another thing is the multithreading, in 9.x its possible to run multiple apps but its very awkward. One app or another is always holding the system up for some response or interaction. Even though 10.0 was slower then 9.x I got more work done cause im always moving from one app to another and running multiple tasks. And in the long run isnt that what its really all about?

Another big plus for me was I been on Macs for awhile and X was kinda like a new territory to explore. I had always tried to run Linux OS's to mix things up but didnt have enough interaction with those systems to become familar with them, they were a hassel. OS X is the best of both worlds. And has been a big help in getting used to the command line, all we program with at school is a terminal session to an old Unix server!

As always though change is difficult and while there are a lot more apps out now, there still arent as many for 9.x as X but they are on the way.

On the subject of price, are you in college or know someone who is? If so Apple will cut the price down to I beleive $70 for students.

Hope this helps...

>On the subject of price, are you in college or know someone who is? If so >Apple will cut the price down to I beleive $70 for students.

Unfortunately, I'm well beyond the usual 'in college' age. $70 sounds *really* nice. Of course, I suppose I shouldn't complain too loudly. The $140 or so *does* get me two upgrades by including both 9.2 *and* 10.1 in the box. Figuring $20 to $25 if I upgraded 9.0.4 alone up to 9.2 & about $15 shipping, that brings 10.1 itself down to about $95 to $100, plus the usual $15 to $20 shipping charge. I really shouldn't complain, so feel free to tell me I'm crazy. I've been called worse.

X, like any other piece of software, is only worth the money if you have a compelling reason to use it. When the day comes where you say "oh man I need X to do Y..." you'll be ready for X.

The only thing that you can really get out of X that you can't get out of 9 is the ability to run *nix software like apache/php/mySQL. Quite a wiz-bang thing, but only if you actually have a use for it.

The touted benefits of stability, multithreading, and pre-emptive multitasking are more than offset by the complications introduced by the complexities of Classic. Classic is fine for occasionally starting up that relatively simple legacy application, but you don't want to spend your day with it. Stability, etc., are great underpinnings to an OS that you have a compelling reason to use, not a compelling reason in and of themselves.

While X now seems ready for prime time with X.1, most of the software isn't. Plus, if you think $130 is steep for an OS, just calculate the price tag of a full suite of X native applications.

Aren't there any local apple dealers where you live? YOu could save yourself 12 bucks by picking it up in your town/city, and have it a lot sooner.
Originally posted by putamare
if you think $130 is steep for an OS, just calculate the price tag of a full suite of X native applications.
130 bucks is a great price when compared to buying any flavor of Windows. win2000 is still 200 bucks new, I dont remembre what XP is but I think it might even be more.

You might want to wait a bit if most of the apps you use aren't X-native yet. Classic works fairly well, but not well enough if youre going to want to use it all the time.

Since I mainly do web stuff, there's no way I could live without X now. Being able to run PHP and mysql on the same box that I have BBedit and internet explorer is a real treat. :)

Well, after all was said and done, I finally took the plunge this afternoon. I've ordered Mac OS X v. 10.1. It should be in my hands 10/9. In anticipation of this, I went to the Apple site & set up an iTools/iDisk account. At that time, somehow, somewhere. I downloaded the iTools Installer and 'installed' iTools, presumably including iDisk. However, I don't see my iDisk anywhere on my desktop; I've already thrown the iTools installer away (I know...stoopid of me); and I have no idea of how to re-download the iTools installer.

I remind myself of the guy who called tech support & was told to pack the pee cee back up & return it to the store because he was 'too stupid to own a computer.'

HELP!

Installing the software just makes it possible for you to connect to your idisk through your browser. To do so, go to apple.com/idisk and login. Then click on the iDisk icon in the upper right hand corner. Now just click on "Open your iDisk" and it will mount on your desktop. You can also mount it from the Finder, but I don't use OS 9 much anymore, so I forget the process.

HTH,
F-bacher

if you want another compelling reason to move to 10.1 is the support for iDisk. there is no more hassle of going to the browser to mount the disk and then creating an alias to it. in 10.1, simply select iDisk from the Go menu, or press the iDisk button in the Finder toolbar, that's it.

1.) apple.com/idisk - CHECK
2.) Log in - NOPE! Got no prompt to log in;
3.) Clicked on iDisk icon in the upper right just for the heck of it.
4.) Saw my login name but didn't/couldn't mount my iDisk, even after entering password HERE.

Back to the drawing board.

Ummm...nope. Not for me. Apple must hate me.

Went to Go--->Apple - iTools - iDisk, which brought me to the iTools page; clicked on Open My iDisk (or whatever)...no dice, even after I entered my password.

Back