Mac OS X's "Jaguar"

Originally posted by vic
if they charge for 10.2 i'm not buying it. i'll tell you outright i'l copy ot or download ti off some pyracy website. i've had enough of this pay for the unfinished os shit.
I'd like to refer you back to tismey's post:
Quoth tismey:
Since when has an OS EVER been a 'finished' product? In fact, any piece of software? You only have to look at Versiontracker each day to see how many pieces of software - commercial, shareware or free - are still being upgraded by the developers. Software by its very nature will always be a work in progress, as one minor bug fix or new functionality may introduce new issues on each individual system.
I fully agree with tismey. But I understand the reluctance to pay for an OS upgrade all the same... :p

Originally posted by hazmat

I have a beta of Windows NT 5.0. Even says it in the Start menu. What was it called when it was finally released? ;-)

Yup, but if you look closely Windows 2000 still identifies itself on the web and to applications as Windows NT 5.0, Win 2000 is not a version number, but 5.0 is.

10.5 would be a version number, so this is a different situation.

BTW I'll give you $10 for the beta :D

Apple seems to be very careful about calling it jaguar and not 10.2 though. They are still reserving the ability to call it 10.5.

hrm. i agree with the os's never being finished. i can understand why people wouldn't want to pay, definitely. I just hope that if we do have to pay (we probably will) that they do it like they did with 10.1, like, a 20$ dollar deal. i really can't afford to be paying 99$ for an upgrade... especially one thats going to require me to buy a 200$ graphics card... *sigh*

Originally posted by unlearnthetruth
hrm. i agree with the os's never being finished. i can understand why people wouldn't want to pay, definitely. I just hope that if we do have to pay (we probably will) that they do it like they did with 10.1, like, a 20$ dollar deal. i really can't afford to be paying 99$ for an upgrade... especially one thats going to require me to buy a 200$ graphics card... *sigh*

Speaking of which, is my GeForce2 MX that came in my G4 867 now almost obsolete? I saw in Apple's recommended minimums, and though it's of course in that list, they recommend a minimum of a 32-meg card, which is what mine is.

Originally posted by Valrus
Hell, people paid for the public beta.

-the valrus

but we made a nickel after they gave us $30 off Mac OS X 10.0 :)
Cuz the beta only cost us $29.95.

I've already put, what was it, $130 to buy 10.0 and then another $20 to get the 10.1 upgrade (I could have driven to a store, but that would cost about $20 in gas :) ). If Apple plans to make me pay an exorbitant amount of money for ANOTHER upgrade, I'm sorry to say, but it may be the first piece of Apple software I download without permission. Might I add that even with the 10.1 upgrade, I still have many peripherals that don't work with X. I had to spend another $70 on a printer, $75 for an external CD-RW (because we all know more than 2 optical drive INSIDE a Mac makes no sense).

"As for Apple being 'thankful' that so many people are using OSX as it is right now, I have to say that I think that's a ridiculous statement."

I have to disagree. Apples 'next generation' OS was about 6 years late. When it was released as OSX, it was clearly STILL a pre-release piece of software. Faithful Apple users flocked to it after waiting all of those years for a modern OS. And Apple should be thankful for that.

Is OSX a good OS? Absolutely. There's a lot of great things about it. Is it a refined, well thought out GUI? No. Not yet. Is Apple still getting the bugs out of it and optimizing it properly? Yes. And we shouldn't have to pay for those type of fixes. (Not that I believe Apple will be charging for 10.2...I'm just surprised at how many people are willing to pay for it.)

Back